Destin Jetties dive pics 10/23/04

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Great dive today with 3 other SBers. See my gallery for their mug :) shots. Here are a couple pics from the dive.

The Bugman Salvage Company hard at work!

26242bugsalvage.jpg

The top of this picture is blown out but I just love the color of the anemone.

26242anemone1.jpg

A couple more:
How about a crab sandwich?

26242crabsandwich.jpg

How about a Blue Crab Lunch?

26242bluecrablunch.jpg

Nice colors on the anenome. Is that the one you were fighting the current in order to get a pic? If so, nicely done, considering the circumstances.

Great pics all around and we had a good time. The blue crab eating on the fish carcass is fantastic.

Found the culprit on the camera my buddy was using, the brand new batteries we bought at the Texaco up the street were dead... figures...

Can't wait for my Oly to arrive!

Nice! Wish I could get back in the water...maybe this week.

RE: batteries...were you using normal batteries in a digital camera? I haven't had any that lasted more than a few minutes before they are sucked dry - over Sony DSC-U20, Canon A70 & A20 & Olympus 5050. Worthless pieces of junk (batteries, not cameras!) Rechargeables are the only ones I have found that last. Weird.

SuPrBuGmAn:
Nice colors on the anenome. Is that the one you were fighting the current in order to get a pic? ...
Yep, tried a shot without flash due to supermacro mode - it was all green. Could not get a patch of sand to white balance on because of the current knocking me arround so I switched the flash to slave mode and set the intensity at level 10. It probably would not have blown out the top part if I had set the exposure lower. If I wasn't running out of air and being flopped arround in the current, I would have bracketed my shots so as to cover my bases - this ones good for a memory though.

alcina:
RE: batteries...were you using normal batteries in a digital camera?...Worthless pieces of junk (batteries, not cameras!) Rechargeables are the only ones I have found that last. Weird.

Yep, just some alky Panasonics. I've used alkalines before with some success, they didn't last long comparitively to the rechargables(which usually run well enough for 2 dives), however, they'd last a good 30 pics. These just were enough to boot the camera before the low battery screen popped up and it shut down. Got home and threw some rechargables in and it worked fine. This is a friends camera, I won't be borrowing it anymore after this week :) the Oly is ordered and it should be delivered within a few days. The Li Ions it uses should last a bit longer, and I ordered 2 sets just incase.

SeaYoda:
Yep, tried a shot without flash due to supermacro mode - it was all green. Could not get a patch of sand to white balance on because of the current knocking me arround so I switched the flash to slave mode and set the intensity at level 10. It probably would not have blown out the top part if I had set the exposure lower. If I wasn't running out of air and being flopped arround in the current, I would have bracketed my shots so as to cover my bases - this ones good for a memory though.

Gotcha, I'm sure I'll have my fair share of blown out shots before I get used to the new camera as well. Experience is one hellova teacher though :)

SeaYoda:
Yep, tried a shot without flash due to supermacro mode - it was all green.
You know that you CAN use the flash on the 5050 in SMacro mode...you just have to make sure your subject isn't in the shadow zone.

SeaYoda:
Could not get a patch of sand to white balance on .
:1poke: Am I going to have come over there?? Use RAW!!! I can't believe I didn't switch over sooner and now when I go back through my older images I KICK myself for not listening to people tell me to switch over. I know all the "reasons" not to do it, but they are, IMHO, a bit lame in retrospect - not that it helps me now!

The only reason I can see not to switch would be if you don't have a good converter, but even with a basic one you can still do some things. And if you can't, well, your photo looks the same NOW as it would have shooting JPEG, but when you DO upgrade the software you can go back to the original RAW file.

Switch, Boy!

[Rant off :crafty: ...I really am just trying to make you not make the same regretable mistakes I did!]

Yoda....here's a quick crop and tweaking. I love the colors! Too bad the shadow is so bad.

Yoda_s_anemone2.jpg

Alcina....I've stayed away from RAW because I have PS7 and can't get the plug-in for it. And I can't afford to upgrade to CS. But if you know a way around all that, I'm willing to give it a shot! :D

Thanks for the crop Dee.

Alcina,
I've got PS7 too and I have the converter plugin but it is not an editor. I would shoot RAW but for cards I have only one 32 meg XD and one 128 meg CF. When I save my pennies I'll be getting a bigger card and shooting RAW - for now SHQ and White Balance are the way to go. I'm forcing myself to make the camera do what I want it to. I guess it's like learning to do the math before using the calculator. OOPses are OK for me now because I can dive these sites again and get it right. If I ever get to take a big trip somewhere I want to already know how to make this camera sing!

I'm not an expert by far on anemones - is that flat teal colored thing part of the creature or is the anemone trying to look like that piece of stuff?

alcina:
You know that you CAN use the flash on the 5050 in SMacro mode...you just have to make sure your subject isn't in the shadow zone....
BTW I like the rant mode :D.

I dont have the option of a flash when I go into supermacro. What settings are you using to get it to flash?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom