Come with us! BVI liveaboard Cuan Law June 19-25

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

capybara

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi! :wavey: :wavey: My husband and I just booked on the Cuan Law, a liveaboard trimaran in the British Virgin Islands. We're going June 19-25, 2005. It sounds like a lot of fun, and should be perfect for our first diving liveaboard experience (we did a kayaking liveaboard in Vancouver Island last summer, which was a blast!). Unlike most liveaboards, the Cuan Law has a more relaxed pace with 3 dives a day, and the diving is shallower (40-80 ft), which is great for us newbies. There's also lots of non-diving activities such as kayaking, Hobie cat sailing and waterskiing, and a beach barbeque on Friday. I've searched ScubaBoard while planning this trip and the reviews for Cuan Law have been excellent-great dives, tasty food, comfortable cabins w/ private baths & AC, and friendly staff. We can't wait-we're so excited! So...the only problem is they can't guarantee the trip until 8 people are booked, and we're the first two. We don't have any vacation flexibility so we're really hoping this trip will happen. Help us out! We'd love to meet some fellow ScubaBoard members and thank you in person for all the great advice you've given us. PM me or email me at sfnatalie1-internet@yahoo.com if you're interested or have any questions. Check out www.cuanlaw.com for details. Thanks & hope to see you there! :goldfish:

Well, I've waited in the wings until now...

...or perhaps I should say in the rain, because it's been pouring out here in California for the last week. I know at least a few of you reading these posts are sitting out in the snow, dreaming of the embrace of warm Carribean waters, feeling sun upon your pasty skin again. Me too. All of this of course is to tempt a few hardy scubaboard folks into signing on with us for a trip aboard the Cuan Law in June 19-25,2005. Okay, I admit, in June we'll likely all be getting plenty of sun, and maybe a few of us will not be so pasty, but a week of easy sailing and Carribean diving sounds good to me, any time of the year, right?

Actually, I'm writing to see if anyone is interested in joining us aboard the Cuan Law liveaboard, which my wife Capybara posted about a few months ago. Search the old posts, or check out the recent ScubaCore DVD, it sounds like a good trip. The catch for us is that they won't guarantee the trip until eight people are signed on! So I'm out here looking for (future) fellow travellers with a mind for adventure and without aversion to fine food and good company. Been spending too much time at work lately? Wife been tapping her foot and shaking her head a bit much? The cure (so she tells me) is a vacation to the British Virgin Isles. Maybe she's right.

Wanna come find out?
Slingshot

Looks like Cuan Law is the feature article in this month's Undercurrent. They reviewed the Adventure Trip, sounds like they had a good time. We're hoping to go on the regular trip Jun 19-25. Still the only ones booked on that date. I just watched the ScubaCore DVD which has a special on the Cuan Law, and also saw a Travel Channel Exotic Islands show on the British Virgin Islands. It looks like so much fun. If only someone else would sign up for our trip so we could actually go! Sigh.

If only I could, I would be thrilled. The Cuan Law is at the top of my liveaboard list once my daughter gets old enough to get certified. Another 2 years to wait.

I am thinking of booking aboard the Cuan Law during the same timeframe you are scheduled. Have you heard of any others signing up. I have been researching several live aboards, and this one has caught my eye.

rckohler55:
I am thinking of booking aboard the Cuan Law during the same timeframe you are scheduled. Have you heard of any others signing up. I have been researching several live aboards, and this one has caught my eye.

Hi Rick, glad you're looking into the Cuan Law. We haven't heard of anyone else booked on those dates yet but when we signed up we were told it's rare that they have to cancel a trip due to low bookings. We picked Cuan Law because it looks like a great choice for our first diving liveaboard, and has other activities besides diving, like kayaking and sailing Hobie cats as well as a beach picnic. There's three dives a day, which is plenty for us, and the diving in BVI is shallow (<80 ft) but interesting, with wrecks like the Rhone and the Chikuzen. The accommodations look really nice, they use the sail when they can, and the food and crew have gotten good reviews in dive magazines.

Undercurrent wrote in April 2000, "As you know by now, a trip aboard the Cuan Law is combination of good, easy diving a couple times a day and a relaxing, elegant sailing trip through calm waters without the grind of the engines or the smell of diesel wafting your way. Of course, I could just as easily have worn myself out water skiing, paddling sea kayaks, pitching in with sailing the Cuan Law and downsized sailing in the hobie cats, and side junkets." They also reviewed the longer Adventure trip in the Jan 2005 issue and wrote "The 105-foot ship itself is stable and commodious--the ten 10X10 cabins, convertible twin or double and all en-suite, are laid out forward and on each side of the airy and spacious salon with its open and well-stocked honor bar...If the chef makes the boat, Jessica's cooking was well up to the world's largest trimaran." The March 2005 lists the Cuan Law as one of "10 Ultimate Liveaboard Adventures" and says Cuan Law "represents Duncan and Annie Muirhead's unique take on how to explore the ocean realm in style, and they succeed like no other operation...One of the nice things about a trip to the BVIs is that the whole experience is so easy. Passages are short and generally smooth, and early each evening the Cuan Law is anchored in a protected bay so you can sleep like the proverbial rock. The dinghies dock in slots next to platforms on the Cuan Law's stern, making entry and exit a breeze." Also, check out the Scubacore DVD issue 1 for a nice show about the Cuan Law.

I could go on, but you get the point. Hope you can come with us on the Jun 19-25 trip, we're really looking forward to it! Let me know if you sign up or have any questions. See you there!

I was just curious about the price for this trip.

capybara:
Hi Rick, glad you're looking into the Cuan Law. We haven't heard of anyone else booked on those dates yet but when we signed up we were told it's rare that they have to cancel a trip due to low bookings. We picked Cuan Law because it looks like a great choice for our first diving liveaboard, and has other activities besides diving, like kayaking and sailing Hobie cats as well as a beach picnic. There's three dives a day, which is plenty for us, and the diving in BVI is shallow (<80 ft) but interesting, with wrecks like the Rhone and the Chikuzen. The accommodations look really nice, they use the sail when they can, and the food and crew have gotten good reviews in dive magazines.

Undercurrent wrote in April 2000, "As you know by now, a trip aboard the Cuan Law is combination of good, easy diving a couple times a day and a relaxing, elegant sailing trip through calm waters without the grind of the engines or the smell of diesel wafting your way. Of course, I could just as easily have worn myself out water skiing, paddling sea kayaks, pitching in with sailing the Cuan Law and downsized sailing in the hobie cats, and side junkets." They also reviewed the longer Adventure trip in the Jan 2005 issue and wrote "The 105-foot ship itself is stable and commodious--the ten 10X10 cabins, convertible twin or double and all en-suite, are laid out forward and on each side of the airy and spacious salon with its open and well-stocked honor bar...If the chef makes the boat, Jessica's cooking was well up to the world's largest trimaran." The March 2005 lists the Cuan Law as one of "10 Ultimate Liveaboard Adventures" and says Cuan Law "represents Duncan and Annie Muirhead's unique take on how to explore the ocean realm in style, and they succeed like no other operation...One of the nice things about a trip to the BVIs is that the whole experience is so easy. Passages are short and generally smooth, and early each evening the Cuan Law is anchored in a protected bay so you can sleep like the proverbial rock. The dinghies dock in slots next to platforms on the Cuan Law's stern, making entry and exit a breeze." Also, check out the Scubacore DVD issue 1 for a nice show about the Cuan Law.

I could go on, but you get the point. Hope you can come with us on the Jun 19-25 trip, we're really looking forward to it! Let me know if you sign up or have any questions. See you there!

MedicDiverLB:
I was just curious about the price for this trip.

It's $2095 per person which includes room, diving, all meals and sodas/juices. Alcohol and wine at bar prices or $95 for unlimited drinks. A little pricey but on par with other nicer liveaboards. Definitely not for the Blackbeard's crowd. Check out their website at www.cuanlaw.com, they have nice video clips and virtual tours of the ship.

Hope to see you there,
capybara

Hello Capybura
I was just browsing on the scubaboard and saw your post.
My (non diving) wife and i are booked on the cuan law for June 19th.
look forward to seeing you there.
Should be a bit warmer than yesterday in the North of England.

http://www.dive-site.co.uk

Water temp was 13 degrees C thats about 2 degrees less than the air temperature!
I hope conditions will be better in the BVI
I see also that they are running a special offer at the moment, last time i checked there were only 4 cabins booked.

See you there

Terry

capybara:
It's $2095 per person which includes room, diving, all meals and sodas/juices. Alcohol and wine at bar prices or $95 for unlimited drinks. A little pricey but on par with other nicer liveaboards. Definitely not for the Blackbeard's crowd. Check out their website at www.cuanlaw.com, they have nice video clips and virtual tours of the ship.

Hope to see you there,
capybara

I've always wanted to do this trip. I've heard good things about this boat.

But I didn't realize the price was so HIGH.

$4200 for two people? and then it isn't completely all-inclusive (meaning you have to pay extra for drinks).

No wonder they aren't booked up all the time.

jeez.... it's not that great is it?

You're still looking at $500 to $700 each for tickets to get to BVI.

Back
Top Bottom