Eel Pics?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fins

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Have seen some great eel pics here on Scubaboard. Just wondering how close do you get to these tooth little devils?

A pic I took in Curacao earlier this month:

Get as close as you can get and still focus. While I've heard of a few eels bites on divers, they are the exception rather than the rule and are probably the result of some stupid behavior. Eels do have some nasty looking teeth, but the open mouth is simply breathing and not a sign of aggression. Most eels will retreat if you come into their "personal space." So, get as close as the eel will let you and take lots of pictures to share with us here on the board.

moray%20600%20x.jpg

Now you gotta love a face like that. Our eels up here are a little different. They are a bit more aggressive. We call them Saltwater Catfish or Wolf Fish. This one is a very bright blue but they are usually grey, brown.
Boy they got some mean looking teeth.
Jason

This was about as close I fancied getting to this fella - he was really big and fat!

moray%205.jpg

I usually get as close as I need to frame the picture I want. Never think much about getting bit when I do it and the eels always seem to be smiling so I figure they like to ham for the camera!pics
I have an eel picture at the above link, I couldn't figure out how to post as an individual picture.

Here's one. This being my first eel pic, I didn't get that close, and instead chose to crop down the pic you see below. I could have gotten a lot closer, but didn't want to scare the wolf eel anymore than I already had.

DSCN3672_2.JPG

~ Jason

Tobagoman:
I usually get as close as I need to frame the picture I want. Never think much about getting bit when I do it and the eels always seem to be smiling so I figure they like to ham for the camera!pics
I have an eel picture at the above link, I couldn't figure out how to post as an individual picture.

Which.....this one?
28967092_afz_mahae_eels-med.jpg

Or this one?
28967104_agh_huahine_eel_head-med.JPG

Both cool photos!

You can click--->HERE for tips on posting your photos.

This is one of mine... Weird thing happened when I was taking this photo... another eal swam through my legs about knee high. Not a very comfortable feeling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom