Force Fins--dare I ask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
Ok, I ask a lot of question, it is my nature. I know that divers tend to be gear freaks and also very brand loyal. For some reason though I am very eclectic and just have a hodgepodge of stuff spanning several decades.
OK, I bought some original Force Fins and found them lacking power but enjoyed them for lap swimming. I then bought some Force Fin Pro models and found them useable for free diving (skin diving) and even Scuba but they did not quite have the power I need. Now I see that Force Fin has several models that are much larger and stiffer--has anyone used them? Reports please.
Why not some other fin--well--I like full foot fins and have several other fin types BUT my feet are wide and have a high arch, I rarely wear boots, my feet and lower calve muscles are really quite strong compared to my upper legs which seem to suit the Force Fin kicking action and they just seem very comfortable to me overall. Thanks in advance. N

How about some new production "Giant UDT Duck Feet" if you like something that goes with the power thing?
You'll be able to get towing jobs on the side,you'll be able to drag small boats & barges around.
Get ready for a few "do a search" comments.
I have a couple pairs of the original, but usually only use them if wearing combat boots.

Nemrod:
....snip....but they did not quite have the power I need. Now I see that Force Fin has several models that are much larger and stiffer--has anyone used them? Reports please.

Well in terms of power, I mean if several variations on the theme aren't working then at some point I'd start to draw conclusions...... but that's just me.

I can't say anything useful about the comfort but suffice it to say that I don't think that power and comfort are mutually exclusive.

R..

I used the force fin pros for a looong time, and I really liked them. I started dive dry, and using doubles and they just didn't cut it. I got a pair of jets which I now like a lot. I ebay'ed my ff pros, although only the bigger set I bought for the dry suit. I think I'm gonna hold on to the other pair.

babar

Nemrod:
Ok, I ask a lot of question, it is my nature. I know that divers tend to be gear freaks and also very brand loyal. For some reason though I am very eclectic and just have a hodgepodge of stuff spanning several decades.
OK, I bought some original Force Fins and found them lacking power but enjoyed them for lap swimming. I then bought some Force Fin Pro models and found them useable for free diving (skin diving) and even Scuba but they did not quite have the power I need. Now I see that Force Fin has several models that are much larger and stiffer--has anyone used them? Reports please.
Why not some other fin--well--I like full foot fins and have several other fin types BUT my feet are wide and have a high arch, I rarely wear boots, my feet and lower calve muscles are really quite strong compared to my upper legs which seem to suit the Force Fin kicking action and they just seem very comfortable to me overall. Thanks in advance. N

I use the extra force fins and finds they offer a increase in kick power and use them with the dry suit and can do all I need in them NO problem love em and I do have a number of other fins I could wear and like the bungie heels and all.

"Well in terms of power, I mean if several variations on the theme aren't working then at some point I'd start to draw conclusions...... but that's just me."

Well, I am not arguing against your statement, I did ask for advice--thanks. I think what I am saying is that while the Original and the Pro work well they lack the power of some other fins I have used. BUT, they are more efficient at normal levels of exertion such as just cruising along a reef top. Where the two versions I have fall a bit short is when you want a big burst of speed at near max effort. They simply cannot absorb that much power (such as it is). Again, I have had other types of more conventional fins that have shortcomings as well and yet I (we) continue to buy those types. I understand that Force Fins have some newer models with greater size and stiffness etc. I suspect that these would provide what I need and was just asking if anyone had used them.
I have to tell you, the Pro models are very efficient and they are a good medium power fin even for scuba diving. Yeah, the power comes from me/you and not the fin but the fin does translate that power into forward motion so I think one can rate fins as light/med/heavy power etc or whatever terms you like. Well, it is just money, I think I will try some. The new versions that I am referring to are the Extra Force and the Excellerating Force fins. The Original and Pro are still being made and are considerably smaller than these two models. Thanks for the advice and help.
ScubadogUK, so you have the "Extra" model? How do they compare to the Mares Plana Plus full foot series or similar?
Oh, thanks Bob on the Duckfeet suggestion. I used to have some of those. I like them OK, they certainly are a classic and since I am thinking to rig up a vintage outfit from my eclectic selection of ancient and newer odds and ends the Duckfeet would be way cool with that rig. Think about it, vintage motocross, vintage photography, vintage sportscars, why not vintage Scuba? No plastic allowed. I have some old brass depth guages, some neat brass compasses and a brass SPG, Calypso J reg, a steel tank that passes hydro from 1966 and a complete Nemrod scuba starter set. Yeah, UDT Ductfeet, could be fun. N

Ok, I found a few threads on FFs. I suspected they maybe a hot botton topic. Please, let's not go there. I only need opinions of those who have used the ones I asked about. I like to try new stuff, some times it is a failure, sometimes it is a favorite.

I was a WSI, I was a competive swimmer, I have swam open water distance events. I am a triatlete (was). I have been diving since I was kid. I know how to kick. I, like I mentioned, have unusually strong lower leg muscles and my upper legs are not weak. Using the conventional "stiff" leg scuba kick just does not work well/efficient for me because it wastes the power I have in my lower legs. That is why I have always prefered more flexible fins and full foot fins (which allow me to flex my knee and bring my lower leg power into play) over Jets and Rockets and such as that. I am getting older now so I won't challenge anyone to any races but I can say that very few people in the past have been able to go any faster or further than I could regardless of their fins. When past the first few hundred yards it get's down to what is inside you and not whats on your feet and Scuba diving is usually not a race.

I hope this thread does not cause a fight, I did not mean it to.

I don't know what the Navy Seal use. I beat one in a Tri, I heard him telling a cute lady that he was one and he had the shirt--lol---I tell you this, I am so proud of all our Armed Forces that if I ever race one again I will let him win, well, now that I am officialy old he will probably clobber me but I do have that excuse--wink--wink. God bless our troops.

After all that reading I have done on the FF I think I am going to breath the short hose, go back to consoles and buy a computer and hook my reel to a welded D-ring with a 21.345 degree angle!!--Hey, just teasing. Y'all take care. N

I always hated the mares with the rubber ribs in the fins felt like they skidded as I kicked and a pal who had a pair that tore along the ribs and he was the first split fins I saw in the early 90's :)
The original plana fins were great, I find these force extra fins give a noticable improved feel and feel more like a regular fin
I can back up with students and helicopter no problem if thats what you want I want a pair that can make a old man feel good that they do ?

As FF goes, the Tan Delta matierial, has the highest return of exertion, I.E. power. but be prepared to spend major $, the original FF in Tan Delta goes for $300 or so, and the high end fin, name escapes me, goes for around $550. The mold Bob Evan uses is perfect every time, after every third pair of fins is created the mold is destroyed and a new one is created, very low varience in is allowed in the production. In water performance goes the high end model? they were extremly uncomfortable and hard to kick and I cant believe they sell them for the price. But if you want the bar none most powerfull fin out there FF has them.

Jumbo, yeah shocking the cost huh? Well, I have looked at some other various fins that run pretty big dollars to but not that much. Hey, you say they are hard to kick and uncomfortable--those two things are exactly opposite of my FF experience little as it may be. Whats up there? N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom