WPB Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

metaldector

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I went out Sunday October 24, on the Narcosis out of Riviera Beach marina. The boat left at 8 AM for the Juno Ledges north of the inlet. The crew with the exception of the Capt. are all from Bob Johnson's Rampage, so they were excellent. The Narcosis is about two years old, twin props, and very clean! The dives themselves were okay. The water quality is still very poor with vis only 20' to 30' max, and full of floating crap. This is due to the South Florida Water Management District pumping inland water out into the gulf stream. Yet another factor from the recent hurricanes. So until they stop pumping it isn't going to improve.
The reef was typical limestone 5' to 15' tall at about 89' to 79' feet. Lots of lobsters and most everyone got two or more. The spearfisher divers also got some nice snappers and hog fish.
We saw nurse sharks, lobsters, eels, and lots of different fish, but with limited vis, the photo divers weren't very happy. Water temp was 81 degrees, and air about the same. Sunny no clouds, and a slight swell with 1' to 2' waves.
Also, saw lots of damage along the coast north of WPB with boats washed up on the shore, businesses closed, roads closed and washed out clear up to Sebastian Inlet. Make sure you call ahead, especially if your looking for a hotel or motel as they are full from hurricane victims all the way down to Deerfield Beach. I had to get a hotel 35 miles from WPB and commute back and forth. Added 160 miles to the dive.

Thanks for the Report. Is the Rampage still operating?
Luke

Rampage is history - although the insurance company won't total it and thinks it can be rebuilt.

According to Susan, divemaster/instructor from Rampage, "She is a 27 years old wooden boat. It was under water too long to get recertified by coast guard". If she's right, its history.

I hadn't realized the Rampage had been sunk until I read the post here (did a forum search and got the details). That's too bad. I hope Captain Bob is able to get his insurance and get another boat.
Luke

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom