a few DIR questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buccaneer

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well,
I keep reading about DIR here on SB, and I looked at the links on the sticky. I gotta admit I like alot of what I see. Currently, I am using the Recon BC, but I just ordered my wing/BP Diverite system. I am also going to start "breathing the long hose." I am not sure if I am fully commited to making the full DIR switch,(I like my console, damnit!) but I am coming around. That said, I would like someone to please give me a detailed description and/or photos on how exactly I should properly make and rig the bungee necklace for my back-up reg. Also a question: Currently I dive w/ a pony bottle strapped to my primary tank, with it's own dedicated 5 ft hose & reg. When diving w/ a pony is it proper DIR to mount it to the existing tank, or do you rig it in front like a stage bottle. If so, what size hose, and how to stow it is reccomended? I have the pony for solo diving, which also makes me ask- Is solo diving DIR? I have heard the expression "we dive alone- together." But that doesn''t really tell me if pure solo is considered DIR or not.

I'm not an expert, not even considered "DIR". but like you, I feel they have a pretty good grasp on things :)

DIR does not consider Solo diving proper. (others of us seem to deal with it OK)

As for the bungee ... mine is simply attached to the reg by the same zip-tie that holds the mouthpiece on. The bungee itself is cut from a length of "spear bungee". I put mine on the reg, and left the zip-tie a little loose ... I could then fine-tune the length to suit me before I really tightened the zip-tie down, then trim the excess.

I'm not sure on the pony set-up, but I'd guess you'll get a ton of responses telling you it's NOT DIR. They believe your redundant air supply is on your buddy's back.

solo diving and pony bottles are not DIR

www.fifthd.com is located in washington state so maybe they can helo you with things

Not only is solo diving not DIR, it is diametrically opposed to the very fundamental tenants of DIR. DIR is *primarily* about team diving. You *always* dive in a cohesive team. Your buddy is your backup gas as well as your backup brain. If you heard the phrase "we dive alone - together", it was not from a DIR diver.

While the pony bottle is not DIR, if you insist on diving with one, the closest DIRish way to configure it would be slung like a deco bottle on your left side. I think the hose length is 40", but I'm not sure.

As for the bungee on the necklace, it's wicked easy....

Cut the zip tie off of your mouthpiece
Measure out a piece of bungee that is approximately the right length for the backup bungee.
tie a big knot at the end of each piece of bungee
secure mouthpiece & bungee with a single zip tie. The knots hold it in place.

I'm sure someone will have a picture...if not, there are dozens of threads on it here that you could search for.

Buccaneer:
Well,
I keep reading about DIR here on SB, and I looked at the links on the sticky. I gotta admit I like alot of what I see. Currently, I am using the Recon BC, but I just ordered my wing/BP Diverite system. I am also going to start "breathing the long hose." I am not sure if I am fully commited to making the full DIR switch,(I like my console, damnit!) but I am coming around. That said, I would like someone to please give me a detailed description and/or photos on how exactly I should properly make and rig the bungee necklace for my back-up reg. Also a question: Currently I dive w/ a pony bottle strapped to my primary tank, with it's own dedicated 5 ft hose & reg. When diving w/ a pony is it proper DIR to mount it to the existing tank, or do you rig it in front like a stage bottle. If so, what size hose, and how to stow it is reccomended? I have the pony for solo diving, which also makes me ask- Is solo diving DIR? I have heard the expression "we dive alone- together." But that doesn''t really tell me if pure solo is considered DIR or not.

Drop me a PM ... I can show you how to rig the bungee. Might even let you borrow my DIR Fundamentals book so you can learn more about the philosophy behind the technique.

I work in Tacoma, and live in Federal Way ... so we're real close.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Talk to Bob... his offer is just about like hitting the scuba lottery :)

Soggy:
Cut the zip tie off of your mouthpiece
Measure out a piece of bungee that is approximately the right length for the backup bungee.
tie a big knot at the end of each piece of bungee
secure mouthpiece & bungee with a single zip tie. The knots hold it in place.

I'm sure someone will have a picture...if not, there are dozens of threads on it here that you could search for.

My instructors have told me to use a separate zip tie so that the bungee cannot pull the mouthpiece off the reg.

Brando just PMed me and told me the same thing. I'll give that a try, though I can't see how the Bungee could pull the mouthpiece off if it's cranked down hard.

reubencahn:
My instructors have told me to use a separate zip tie so that the bungee cannot pull the mouthpiece off the reg.

Dunno, I've had mine slide a little. I still use just the one ziptie but I also check its positioning during the pre dive check.

PS Take Bob up on his offer. Then dive with him.

reubencahn:

Don't forget, you can still breath the reg even without the mouthpice so even if you some how pull if off, it's not the end of the world. Atleast that's what I was told in Fundies when I asked.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom