The scoop.. or scope as it may be...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CBulla

~..facebook conch..~
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I believe that I'd made it known I was up for a surgery on my shoulder now for a while.. well, yesterday was the day.. S-day. I was hoping it was going to be a simple little arthoscopic surgery to go in and clean things up, have some recovery, and shazam magically I'm cool again. It turns out I am, as usual, the exception to the rule and there needed to be more done, thus an opening up of my shoulder for more serious work. I'm effectively out of diving for the rest of the year now, possibly early next year some as well.. but that dosen't mean I can't read these great reports that everyone posts about their dives!!

Sooooooo... here's the scoop of what happened:

What was done:
  • spurs out of clavicle
  • repair tear with tacks
  • fixed anterior ligament tear

For the next 2 weeks:
  • No driving
  • straighten out elbow only
  • Not to do a damned thing for at least two weeks, maybe four - No physical therapy for 2-4 weeks!

And thats the world as I know it. I'm sore and ache... however in comparison to the previous 3 open reconstructs I've had in my life, this one is going very well. I was discharged last night, though I have no papers to prove it.

When I exhale, I have that taste in my mouth that you get through your olfactory senses when you hang a plastic shower curtain liner..

And in the midst of all this Kris and I are buying a house and moving.. FUN eh? It'll all work out though, I have faith in it... hopefully this ordeal will pass quickly and without further incident and I'll be back to doing things soon.

Incidentally, this is open repair # 4... not bad for a guy of 30 years old eh?!

Ouch, Colin! Prayers for a speedy recovery & return to diving!

You know what they say Colin....when you do something you gotta do it right!
Hope everything heals well!
aloha,
Lisa

I can safely say I share your position Colin. Next week I find out if my tendon repair will require additional surgery and if that's the case, there will be at least 2 - 4 weeks of no diving. While I only spent 6 - 8 weeks topside after the initial surgery, that was enough to not wish I had to do that again.

Take care buddy and I hope we can dive again soon!! Guess there won't be any Fish ID classes for you in the near future.... :(

Lisa - when it comes to injuries, I tend to do them in extreme fashion!

Hey Rick - I remember talking to your surgery when we were over for Fest... Good luck with your follow up surgery, this is my 4th rebuild on my shoulder.. my last being 9 years ago. I was thinking this was a tune up this time... I guess it was in need of more than just a little tweaking. Maybe we can do some dry dive stuff with the families while we heal up?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom