Aeris AI-Too liberal???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

outlawaggie

Contributor
Reaction score
I did 8 dives in two days last weekend with a group at the Flower gardens. I noticed that my computer seemed the more liberal of the group, including my dive buddy who had an older model of the AI(the 500AI). Not that I'm overly concerned about getting bent but I was curious if anyone else has noticed this. I'm diving an Aeris AI.

I dive an Atmos 2, which is essentially the same less the AI. Done plenty of repetitive dives with it and it is more liberal than the others. Then again, I plan my dives with my tables and set up the computer according to them, so I have a little margin of conservativeness already built into the profile.

As it is I basically dive staying in the green rather than moving into yellow. This allows me what I feel is a margin of conservativeness as you put it. I just noticed that I was still in green while many others were in yellow.

It would be very strange for Pelagic to change the model to something even more liberal.

1. Are you sure you were diving the same profile? Are you staying a few feet above the others?

2. Have you compared depth readings? A few feet of depth error towards the shallow side would make your computer seem a bit more liberal.

3. And not meaning to offend by stating the obvious, if you were diving with a higher O2 mix setting than the others, your computer would be more liberal.

4. Your computer would also seem more liberal if you extended your safety stop longer than the others. The Pelagic algorithm assumes offgassing is faster while in the water than during the SI ("1 hour credit control").

outlawaggie:
I did 8 dives in two days last weekend with a group at the Flower gardens. I noticed that my computer seemed the more liberal of the group, including my dive buddy who had an older model of the AI(the 500AI). Not that I'm overly concerned about getting bent but I was curious if anyone else has noticed this. I'm diving an Aeris AI.

They use the same algo... it's the DSAT model - same as Padi tables... actually says you can do a 60 for 57 (on the printed tables they are rounded to 55) If you have you bud dive plan when both computers are "clean" you should see the same results. Just being a foot or 2 apart can make a big difference in allowable bottom time throughout a dive... that's probably what you saw.

Did you also find the part in the manual, where you can set the audible alarm down to beep when you get to the yellow bar... not wait until the red. That's an easy way to make it more conservative... But yes... the Tusa / Nitek / Cressi, or a Suunto computers are way more conservative than the tables, or the aeris.

Based on the last Dan study I read... your odds of getting bent are about 1 in 28,000 and then it is usually ascent rate and dehydration that are blamed... not bottom time.

Thanks, Larry

Can you still get the 500 AI? I liked that it shows you both Air time and deco time simultaneously rather than just the one that is controlling.

I have taken my Aeris2 into the red (deco) on several occasions, and I regularily run it into the yellow. It is as LArry said: a liberal algorithm, but thats one of the benefits of diving a computer. You want more bottom time not less.

I always ascend SLOWLY and hang on the bar for at least 5 minutes (more if diving > 80 ft). If I have pushed it into Deco I will hang on the line for 5-10 minutes more than the Deco time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom