Shoot a Bag w/Long Hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Can someone outline the steps to shooting a bag with a long hose? Obviously you inflate the bag with the primary. Do you clip it off on the D ring when you need both hands? Just switched to long hose, and the old way you used your octo.

Even if you are using a short primary and "octo" you can still inflate the
bag the same way as though you were breathing the long hose:

ASSUMING you are using an OC bag (and these directions are obviously simplified)

1) prepare the bag (this includes rigging whatever line you will use to "attach"
you to the bag as it floats on the surface)
2) tilt your head slightly and hold the opening of the bag over the high side of
the exhaust "tee"
3) exhale
4) inhale and exhale until the bag is bouyant
5) let go the bag and allow it to rise to the surface

Why use the "octo"? You might as well use some of the O2 in the air you are about to use to inflate the bag.

It depends on the situation, but I often like to use the inflator to fill the bag. You basically rig the bag then hold the inflator under it and vent and inflate into the bag at the same time. You hold the bag by pinching it between a couple of fingers and use the rest to hold and operate the inflator while the reel or spool stays in the other hand. You never want to clip the reel to you when shooting a bag, if it jams after ascending very far, you end up going up with the bag.

It saves having to mess with a primary or backup reg, keeps the bag a little farther away from you than when exhaling into it. And, with a large bag, you can just vent into the bag and remain neutral until it is full enough, then quickly re-inflate the wing when the bag is released which makes maintaining a specific depth relatively easy.

Green_Manelishi:
Even if you are using a short primary and "octo" you can still inflate the
bag the same way as though you were breathing the long hose:

ASSUMING you are using an OC bag (and these directions are obviously simplified)

1) prepare the bag (this includes rigging whatever line you will use to "attach"
you to the bag as it floats on the surface)
2) tilt your head slightly and hold the opening of the bag over the high side of
the exhaust "tee"
3) exhale
4) inhale and exhale until the bag is bouyant
5) let go the bag and allow it to rise to the surface

Why use the "octo"? You might as well use some of the O2 in the air you are about to use to inflate the bag.

This doesn't look DIR and it's unnecessary complicated - distructs attention and limits the vision. The procedure I was taught was:

1. prepare the bag i.e. rig it with spool
2. clip off double ender to right chest D-ring
3. start breathing from backup reg
4. inflate the bag with primary reg
5. clip off primary reg
6. release the bag
7. use double ender to secure the spool
8. switch to primary reg

MonkSeal:
This doesn't look DIR and it's unnecessary complicated - distructs attention and limits the vision. The procedure I was taught was:

1. prepare the bag i.e. rig it with spool
2. clip off double ender to right chest D-ring
3. start breathing from backup reg
4. inflate the bag with primary reg
5. clip off primary reg
6. release the bag
7. use double ender to secure the spool
8. switch to primary reg

1) My attention is not "distruct"ed .... I am concentrating on the bag and line

2) My vision is not limited ... I am not placing the bag over my head :eyebrow:

3) I am not in the habit, unless it's a drill or emergency, of removing a functioning regulator from my mouth for any reason

Again ... (and it requires a slightly different technique with a reel)

1) prepare the bag, clip off the DE
2) leave a functioning reg in your mouth and simply exhale into the bag. You should be able to hold the bag and attached spool in one hand during this process. Thus leaving your other hand free.
3) let go the bag and watch the dancing spool

If you are so goofy as to snag your head or other object then perhaps you should
practice the technique. :11:

Green_Manelishi:
1) prepare the bag, clip off the DE
2) leave a functioning reg in your mouth and simply exhale into the bag. You should be able to hold the bag and attached spool in one hand during this process. Thus leaving your other hand free.
3) let go the bag and watch the dancing spool

If you are so goofy as to snag your head or other object then perhaps you should
practice the technique. :11:

It's not a question if I can do that or not (I was doing this way before DIR-F) the question is (like many questions in this forum) what is DIR way of doing this. And I believe that I described that way.

Technically, unless you've had a team separation (which should *never* happen), the procedure is performed amongst the team. One person is responsible for pulling out the bag, the other for pulling out and attaching the spool. The person with the bag inflates it with the primary reg (or drysuit hose if CC), and signals the guy with the spool just before releasing it. Before releasing the bag, both divers should check above them for any obstructions and communicate that it is okay to release.

We are in the DIR forum.

Whether this is a good idea in cold water might be questionable, but you certainly don't need to freeflow the reg to fill the bag. You also don't need a lot of gas in an OC bag to make it visible on the surface.

Soggy:
Technically, unless you've had a team separation (which should *never* happen), the procedure is performed amongst the team. One person is responsible for pulling out the bag, the other for pulling out and attaching the spool.
Why don't you just dedicate the spool to the bag and leave it attached?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom