Congrats to Mike V

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike:

Great shot! You deserved the award. I have tried for years getting a “halo” on silhouette shots. My best doesn’t come close to your shot. Can you share your method with us?

—Bob

Hi Bob, actually its pretty easy. The key is finding a subject that doesn't move all that quickly and getting it completely between the lens and sun. This shot was taken at 1/250 and f8. I was able to take a whole bunch of photos of jellies all at different fstops at the same shutter speed. f8 had the best results, with higher fstops the edges got blacker and blacker until it was just the jelly and some small rays at f22.

Also, i think another key is having a relatively flat water surface and being fairly early in the day.

Mike San

what film were you using!

BTW, I was one of the Judges! hehehe

A thing of beauty, Mike! Congrats.

Hi Alcina!!!

Ah yes, Fuji Sensia 100 i think, if not then Provia 100

Was a Nik V and 15mm set on min focus, about 3 or 4 feet below the surface, big breath holder that i am...

Chris, Hope you weren't the Russian judge who gave it a 5! :11:

hahahaha

it was THE best of the bunch my friend! Great job!

look forward to seeing you on Guam! keep me updated.

now I have a good reason to do a Yap trip eh!

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom