buying first computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scren

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
i am a newer diver and i think it's time to buy my first computer (i will be spending a week in roatan next month and a week in cozumel in dec/jan). i can't afford anything too fancy, so i need to keep it in the moderately expensive range... that said, i do want it to work with nitrox, since i am nitrox certified.

i'd love some input on which kind to buy! here are some considerations i've been debating:
a) brand & important functions
b) wrist vs. console mounted

thanks in advance for any advice you all may have-- sorry if this is a redundant subject!

Hi Scren, I've been slowly working on the same thing. I've decided I want wrist mount because I hate having to pull my gages to read them, my wrist is much more convenient. I'm still debating the AI, air integration, just worried that it is just something to break. Although I'll still need to look at it for air....... My favorite on brand seems to be Suunto, I like the RGBM, their reputation, quality reports and yes, the way they look. But note, I haven't bought one yet!!! I'd like to dive with one first. I'll be watching to see what you might learn too!!

I got the wrist version. I have a console as well, but figure that for most everything, it's just easier on the wrist.

Hoseless was what I wanted, but I'm fairly new to all this, and just could not justify spending $800 on a computer AS WELL as purchase of all the other *STUFF*.

So far the Aeris is nice. I am not Nitrox certified yet, but that is in the plan!!

Ron

scren:
i am a newer diver and i think it's time to buy my first computer (i will be spending a week in roatan next month and a week in cozumel in dec/jan). i can't afford anything too fancy, so i need to keep it in the moderately expensive range... that said, i do want it to work with nitrox, since i am nitrox certified.

i'd love some input on which kind to buy! here are some considerations i've been debating:

thanks in advance for any advice you all may have-- sorry if this is a redundant subject!

A computer is one of the single most expensive items you will probably get, not that other's are not as expensive, though.

Anyway, you should get a computer that will grow with you. What I mean by that, don't get a computer that is air only. Don't get a computer that limits you to just one gas while diving, like 32% Nitrox. As time goes on, you might want to get into types of diving that will require you to do gas switching. So, you want a computer that will support the ability to switch gases underwater.

I prefer the wrist mount. That way I don't have the dangly and I always have it, regardless of which reg I'm using.

Air integrated is nice, but not a necessary expense.

As for my preferred computer, Suunto Vytec. Only thing it does not support is Trimix diving. But, it does allow underwater switching between gases and can be preset for up to 3 gases. Air (21% nitrox) is one of them. I never set it to air mode, once it's in that mode, you're stuck.

Hope this helps.

Brian

I have a somewhat different point of view from some of the others you are getting. I would, like most others, recommend you look at a wrist mounted computer. It is easier to see and you don't have your computer tied to a regulator, handy if you want to travel but not take all of your gear.

I would avoid air integration. It is an expensive feature, a potential failure point, and loads even more info into the computer raising the potential for mis-reading critical data. The low-tech SPG is very reliable and unambiguous.

You will probably want to download your data into a computer. Factor this into the cost of the unit. Many manufacturers use proprietary cables that are unconscionably expensive "options," i.e. a hidden source of huge profit margin. An alternative is a non-downloadable computer and a Sensus Pro (www.reefnet.com) which is a downloadable "black box" that for less than the cost of some cables gives you software and time series depth and temperature data.

Lastly, I wouldn't worry too much about multiple gases. I may be reading too much into your description, but you sound like you are a good distance away from doing this type of diving. If you do move toward that, you will be looking at lots of different gear anyway. And, if you get a good Nitrox computer now with a gauge mode, you can actually use a PC to do stage decompression tables and cover a bunch of that type of diving.

I am using a Suunto Vyper (despite the ridiculous price of the Vyper interface cable) backed up with a Uwatec Bottom timer, to do light deco, nitrox and air diving, etc. in conjunction with a computer program called V-Planner to plan for higher oxygen content decompression gas. I find that this configuration has all the features and redundancy I need.

Can't go wrong with the wrist mounted Suunto Vyper. The Gekko is almost the same computer but w/o the backlight. I have a Vyper and I'm quite happy with it.

My recommendation goes to the Cressi Archimede/ Nitek Duo / Apeks Quantum / Tusa Hunter computers. The displays are large, easy to read, and the interface is very intuitive. Tons of features and functions.

Before you buy, download the user manuals and read them. You can also download the software for quite a few computers. I've got a directory full of manuals and software. Even after you've read the manuals and played with the software, dive with the computers. I've dived with a Mares M1, Dacor Darwin, Duo/Hunter/Quantum, and Suunto Vyper. I quickly eliminated the Mares and Dacor. Deciding between the Quantum and Vyper is more difficult. I find the Quantum is more user-friendly, but I was leaning towards the Vyper because no software was available for the Quantum. Now that's changed, so I'm probably going to get the Quantum.

Have fun.

Define "moderately expensive"?

I did some research for myself (just became a newbie!), and see that the Aeris Atmos II is probably where you're headed..it has most of the same features as some of the more expensive models, nitrox capable, and very user friendly, (lots of user controlled settings) inexpensive ($300-$370 range) for the features, and a LOT of good testimonials on here.

I got one from LP, (and just found out that my LDS just started carrying them, which gives me the impression that they're good since everything they carry is top notch)

check out Aeris' site and read about them...

www.diveaeris.com

scren:

Back
Top Bottom