Trying to decide the best hoseless computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Austin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
The big contender's i'm trying to decide between are the Aeris Atmos Elite, Oceanic VT PRO (not the Atom 1.0 because you have to switch screens to view the depth and air), and the Suunto Vytec. What makes the Vytec so darn expensive by the way?

I like the Vytec because it has a more liberal algorithim than the Haldenean, or close to it, that the other's use. Are there any other good ones, and what are the pros/cons of the listed computers? Thanks a ton! I'd love a computer that will still be up to date in a few years and i won't need to change for awhile, although the "heads up" mask one from Oceanic looks pretty darn cool!

I like my Vytec but also have a friend that swears by her VT Pro, why don't you do a search using the advanced search function.... there has been many a thread discussing AI computers and you will get a better idea that way.

One of the things to consider is ease of seeing the display, i.e. if your eyesight is poor try to go with the one with the clearest display with numbers as opposed to bars... just MHO.

cheers

Since I always dive two computers it helps if both computers are the same alg. You may want to keep that in mind. IE Vytec and a mosquito/stinger or a VT Pro and Atom. Redundancy with a hoseless computer is a good idea-M

Thanks for the advice. I'm just into Rec Diving right now, but considering I'm 17, have only done 40 dives, and absolutly LOVE diving, i want something that i'll be happy with for the next 5 years and will let me do Tech diving. I'm getting this computer for a Christmas present, so i figured why not go with top of the line? :D Any comments welcome!

If your thinking "tech" and a computer you might want to look at the Atom again, 3 gas, and I don't find the changing screens any big deal. You just push a button. I know how much air I have before I look anyway. I also have a VT Pro, a Stinger, a DiverRite, SP air X, and a few others. I prefer my Atom and Stinger.

You may also want to look at the just-released uwatec Smart Tek. It's a 3 gas nitrox computer that supports 3 transmitters - 1 backgas and 2 stage/deco bottles. You can buy the transmitters seperately. Don't know the price, but it's probably expensive.

Isn't an Atom just as expensive as the Vytec?

Austin:
The big contender's i'm trying to decide between are the Aeris Atmos Elite, Oceanic VT PRO (not the Atom 1.0 because you have to switch screens to view the depth and air), and the Suunto Vytec. What makes the Vytec so darn expensive by the way?

I like the Vytec because it has a more liberal algorithim than the Haldenean, or close to it, that the other's use. Are there any other good ones, and what are the pros/cons of the listed computers? Thanks a ton! I'd love a computer that will still be up to date in a few years and i won't need to change for awhile, although the "heads up" mask one from Oceanic looks pretty darn cool!

I use both the Vytec and the VT Pro and like them both. The Vytec, however, is MUCH more CONSERVATIVE than the VT Pro. Both have very easy to read screens and once you read over the manuals, very easy to work with. I have noticed that occasionally the VT Pro will lose signal depending upon where your arms are at certain times - or when other divers are using a flash in close proximity to you. The signal has always been readily regained by just repositioning your computer arm closer to the transmitter for a few moments. The Vytec has never lost a signal on me once the code has been established between the transmitter and wrist unit prior to the dive - by the way, the VT Pro doesn't have to establish a new code each time you switch tanks. And, if you forget to set the code on the Vytec, you may not get your tank pressure reading during your dive! I typically will use the Vytec if I'm doing a series of repetitive dives over a series of days so as to stay a bit on the conservative side. If I'm doing dives spaced out over several days then I prefer the VT Pro.

I have been using a VT pro since early August and cant say enough good things about it. Very user friendly and displays all your information on one screen. Yesterday our local dive shop was having a sale and I picked up an ATOM for $490.00 so I will start using it and give some feed back by next weekend. Hope this helps you out.

An Atom for under five hundred isn't a sale it's a giveaway, the list on an Atom is 949.00 or 999.00. Incidently the Atom will handle three gases with three transmitters and the 2nd and 3rd gases can go up to 100%O2. Couple that with a VT Pro and you have it all!

Back
Top Bottom