Info on older style Jetfins...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jagfish

The man behind the fish
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I recently picked up an old set of Jetfins, they have no lightening bolt running through the name on the top of the fin.

In the past, I have read only that these exist, but not any further details. Anyone know how long ago they were in production and what differences they have from current production. I see that there are some small dimensional differences.

Except for rubber composition and the lightning bolt, they are identical. They were made from '65 until the late 70's/early 80's.

The older Jet fins were replaced by the "Lightning" Jet Fins just before I got certified in 1985, and the older version disappeared from shop shelves in the early 80's.

Scubapro marketed the Lightning Jet Fin as having the same efficiency and flexibility charateristics as the older Jet fin, but stated the newer compound made the new fin a few ounces lighter. That is essentially the only difference.

I have an older pair (no bolt) that I got when I was certified in the late 70's. The most notable difference other than being slightly heavier above water is that they are also slightly more negative underwater. To some (me included) this is seen as a benefit.

T

trob09:
I have an older pair (no bolt) that I got when I was certified in the late 70's. The most notable difference other than being slightly heavier above water is that they are also slightly more negative underwater. To some (me included) this is seen as a benefit.

T

Guess it could be for diving dry this winter...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom