Timex Helix review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freediver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Well, i finally had the opportunity to try out my new (and inexpensive) dive watch. I had it in the pool with me doing a little pool training. It is a Timex Helix watch that is waterproof to 50 mtrs (165 ft). I used it on several of my pool dives and went to max depth of 12 feet. On each dive the depth gauge accurately reflected the depth and the temp gauge appears to be accurate as well.
The watch has a dive track mode and a dive chrone mode.
Using the dive track mode the time started automatically once I reached depth of 5 feet and time stopped once I ascended above 5 foot depth. Depth measurements are updated every 5 seconds.
The dive chrono mode is where you can manually start the time and time splits (for example if you wanted to time the descent of a dive and continue with the overall time of the dive). It says that a total of 99 splits can be taken during a single dive and 20 of them can be stored for later viewing. The depth measures are still updated every 5 seconds.
The dives were later recalled through a unique feature of scrolling with a knob that is rotated. This is a change from the usual depressing of buttons to scroll through dive onfo.
Overall, factoring in the cost of this watch and its usability I was very pleased with the performance and find that it will be useful as a training tool. While it is not a computer, it certainly serves my purpose in freediving.

Freediver,
Thanks for the review. I've seen these things on ebay recently and was wondering if they were any good. I suppose there's no alarm setting?
Later,
Stitch

If you mean "alarm" as in "wake me up", then the Helix has it. If you mean for depth or NDL, then no. You can see the full owner's manual online. One "feature" that I wish I could alter is how the Dive Chrono mode deals with brief ascents to <5ft. On my Mosquito, a surface interval is "ignored" if it is less than 5min and the dive time continues. With the Helix, it tracks a Surface Time, but upon descending below 5ft again starts a new dive time. If you're diving shallow (like following the bottom contour at the quarry), then make sure you also know your start time. Of course, then NDL for such a shallow dive may make air or comfort (cold) the more limiting factor than nitrogen.

I plan on keeping my Helix as my backup depth guage even though I have my Mosquito back.

-Rob

Rab,
By alarm ,I meant something to signal if you have gone past a preset divetime. I want something that screams at me when I've surpassed a certain preset time during the dive. I've heard complaints about some of the more expensive dive comp's not having a loud enough dive time alarm and was wondering if the helix had this option and if so if it were loud enough to hear underwater.
I appologize , I don't know what NDL stands for.
I'll take a look at the owners manual later. That will probably answer my questions. Thanks for the link.
Later,
Stitch

You could probably use the countdown "TIMER" mode before starting the dive. I have never tried to use any of the audible functions underwater and so have not tried to hear it.

BTW, NDL is "No Decompression Limit". If you're only freediving and not on SCUBA, then it doesn't apply to you.

-Rob

rab:
You could probably use the countdown "TIMER" mode before starting the dive. I have never tried to use any of the audible functions underwater and so have not tried to hear it.

BTW, NDL is "No Decompression Limit". If you're only freediving and not on SCUBA, then it doesn't apply to you.

-Rob

you know I'm not sure if that would work or not, didn't try it in the pool. I think what will happen is when you submerge to the activation depth the dive chrono mode will automatically switch on. I'll try and see.

I still want to know how deep someone has taken one of these. Just bought one for a backup bottom timer and am hoping it won't implode at depth.

bcsean:
I still want to know how deep someone has taken one of these. Just bought one for a backup bottom timer and am hoping it won't implode at depth.

I do SCUBA only and own a new Helix Dive Watch. Have used it on many dives to 45ft.. Tomm. I will get a chance to try it to around 110ft. in 60f water. The watch is great as my back-up to my dive computer. Got it from CampMor for $39.95!

Dove today in an old 1960's missle silo to 112ft at 59f,,,,the Timex worked great!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom