Problem with both Mosquito & Vytec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveD

Registered
Reaction score
I've now had a dive with each of my Suunto computers where they have "failed" during the dive. Both the Mosquito and the Vytec have refused to come out of dive mode at the surface. They show a depth (~7m for the Mosquito yesterday) and ever-increasing dive times. The only way to reset the computer was to take the battery out momentarily.

This happened with my Mosquito yesterday. I was doing my rescue diver practical sessions, diving to (est) 8m and practicing a BC ascent. I noticed that the Mosquito at the surface showed ~7m, decended, the Mosquito showed ~15m, bounced a couple of more times as part of the training, surfaced and finished the dive, no more than 20min underwater. The Mosquito refused to come out of dive mode at the surface. I dried the unit and cracked the battery cover to reset the computer. Dived again (using spg and spare watch!), and the Mosquito worked perfectly.

The same thing has also happened once with my Vytec. Normal dive, ~25m for 30min or so. Never came out of dive mode, opened the battery a few hours later and reset. No further problems.

I've done 53 dives (46 hours) on the Mosquito, and 13 dives (9 hours) on the Vytec. Other than these single occasions with each computer, they have worked perfectly. But it has me a little spooked because I'm now unsure whether, if it happens again, I will notice the problem during the dive. Given that I use the Vytec for deep (50m) Nitrox deco dives, I'll be sure to have a backup spg, watch and table, as I should in any event.

Sorry about the long post, but anyone had the same experience? Any suggestions?

I would definately send them in with complete summary of the problem. I've had problems with one of mine that would not stay on after surfacing. Would shut off and then you could start it up and it would work fine for the next dive (no record of 1st. dive) until you surfaced again. Sent mine in for service. Thankfully I have a back up computer I carry for just this situation.
montyb

After about 15 dives my Vytec went a bit looney, during what was supposed to be a non deco dive it started giving me deco times. Later when I downloaded the data it seemed to believe I went down to 78m when in fact the deepest I could have gone was 30.

I sent it back and got a replacement, haven't tried the new one yet, I'm not diving again until Dec.

I had a dive on mine 13ft for 999minutes, send it back too. Believe there was some S/W issue.

Back
Top Bottom