Inon UWL-100 opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alexoki

Registered
Reaction score
I am considering the Inon UWL-100 for use with my Canon S1. Could anybody using this lens give me your opinions regarding image quality-Any distortion, vignetting, softness?
Inon also states that the lens can be used on land which would be great if the image quality is also there. Does it distort on land, give fisheye results and if so can it be corrected through editing software.
I would be grateful for any input or example pics as I really want a good quality WAL that can be used both underwater and topside.
Thanks in advance.

I have the Inon UWL-100 and liked it a lot. It has been awhile since I looked for WAL but when I did, I thought that Sea and Sea, Inon, Epoque and Olympus are all quite similar in degree of coverage, amount of vignetting etc. However the Inon has the advantage that you can add an Inon Domeport to it later to get about 130 degree view (at least that was the case with my C5050). Without the domeport, all wetmount WAL listed above will cover between 90-100 degree view.
You can use the Inon topside but with the camera mounted inside a housing since you won't be able to mount the lens directly on the camera so I don't think it is all that useful on land.

Thanks for the reply. Would it be possible to use the UWL-100 topside if I used a stepup ring on my camera lens adapter so as to negate the need of keeping the camera in the housing topside.
I really want a WAL that I can use on both land and underwater if possible in order to save some cash but ideally not compromise on image quality. Am I being realistic?

alexoki:
Thanks for the reply. Would it be possible to use the UWL-100 topside if I used a stepup ring on my camera lens adapter so as to negate the need of keeping the camera in the housing topside.
I really want a WAL that I can use on both land and underwater if possible in order to save some cash but ideally not compromise on image quality. Am I being realistic?

I have a UWL-100 and the dome port. I have not noticed any distortion when using the UWL-100 without the dome port. When using the UWL-100 with the dome port you definitely get the fisheye effect (as you would with any lens providing 130 degree field of view).

As for using the UWL-100 topside directly connected to your camera (with the adapter) I don't believe that this is possible as the UWL-100 is designed to be a wetmount lens.

I have not tried it myself but saw some pictures somebody posted a long time ago using the Inon WAL on land with the camera in the housing. It looked OK, but lots of barrel distortion and you will get a fisheye effect as well since on land, it offers significantly larger view than the 90+ degree view you get underwater.
Ring adapter is probably not a good idea if such thing is available as the WAL is very heavy unless you can support the WAL at all time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom