Line specifications?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guerosd

Registered
Reaction score
Whats the diff between nylon line on a dive reel and the #36 nylon line you can buy at Home Depot? Only difference I can tell is that the line my halcyon reel is braided and the Home Depot stuff is only twisted.

Anybody know of a reason I could'nt replace the braided stuff with the Home Depot stuff in a pinch?

Originally posted by guerosd
Whats the diff between nylon line on a dive reel and the #36 nylon line you can buy at Home Depot? Only difference I can tell is that the line my halcyon reel is braided and the Home Depot stuff is only twisted.

Anybody know of a reason I could'nt replace the braided stuff with the Home Depot stuff in a pinch?
The difference is the Home Depot line is not as resistant to abrasion and also will most likely not have the same breaking strength as the line that comes on quailty reels.

Dave

2 Cents... Twisted line is used for tensile strength. It will allow you pull on it more (than braided line of the same size), but that's not really what you want in a reel for wreck penetration IMHO. Stick with the braided stuff for abrasion resistance. I think you can buy a 1000 foot spool of the stuff for under $20 (US) from Reef Scuba's website...

#24- cave line
#36- wreck line

Both are braided line, don't use the twisted stuff, it just comes apart (un-twists) and becomes a spider web.

Line is cheap, even the good stuff.

Tom

A dive partner on the Yukon last weekend uses orange parachute line on his penetration reel. It's something like 600lb breaking strain, highly resistant to abrasion, and very visible. Only thing I didn't like about it was it's large diameter.

Home Depot also sells neon braided nylon line. I think it's only the smaller diameter though.

Scubaroo:
A dive partner on the Yukon last weekend uses orange parachute line on his penetration reel. It's something like 600lb breaking strain, highly resistant to abrasion, and very visible. Only thing I didn't like about it was it's large diameter.
If ya don't mind spending a bunch, they make Kevlar® parachute lines too, regular strength & the stuff is the diameter of a pencil lead.
Biggest parachute gear supplier in the US is http://www.Paragear.com
Check their "blems & seconds" list for stuff that may not meet FAA approval because of lost tags, etc.

Bob3:
If ya don't mind spending a bunch, they make Kevlar® parachute lines too, regular strength & the stuff is the diameter of a pencil lead.
Biggest parachute gear supplier in the US is http://www.Paragear.com
Check their "blems & seconds" list for stuff that may not meet FAA approval because of lost tags, etc.

If I remember correctly from when I climbed:
Kevlar doesn't like to be bent or tied in knots very much though. Repeated bending or sharp bends will reduce the strength .

Joe

Back
Top Bottom