Newport area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danno

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be in the in Newport area (Depoe Bay) in a couple weeks, any recomendations as to where to dive or good dive shops to visit? I have heard of 'boiler bay', has anyone dived this site before? Any info would be great, Thanks, Dan

Under the bridge, near the Oregon Aquarium is a dive shop called Newport Watersports.
http://members.aol.com/dqbbem/

Probably the easiest saltwater dive in Newport is in the bay next to the shop. The jettys that run perpendicular to shore are called 'The Fingers'. You will have to climb over boulders and there is a little surge, and viz is usually not too good depending on the day. Check with the shop. IIRC They also do charters every Sunday.

SteveB

This time of year you have to get lucky to have a good (vis) dive at the fingers. You have to hope that it hasn't rained much inland and that a storm hasn't kicked up a bunch of silt and it pushing it back in. You might want to figure out if anyone wants to dive the crab hole in Waldport. I wouldn't dive it without having someone there familar with it because of the possiblity of being swept out into the ocean. Anyway good luck.

If you are not use to crawling over rocks to get into the surge. I might suggest traveling north to Netarts. it is just North of pacific City. There is a boat launch and it makes it very easy to enter and exit. There's lots to of see. If traveling farther North is out of the Question. you can dive under the crab dock there by the dive shop, or along any of the fingers going out along the south Jetty.

Boiler Bay is an increadible dive, but getting to it is not. You either come in from the ocean side or climb down that rock wall with all your gear. It is close to a 100 feet down. We used a winch off the front of my Pick up to get our gear down and back up.
I hope that helps. Didnt mean to sound so negative, but Oregon coast can be difficult to dive if you are not use to it.

Seal Rock is just south of Newport about 3 miles and you can dive the park on high tide. you can walk your gear down the path to the water.

talking to a friend of mine and he said Pacific city had some good stuff. and netarts is one really good dive! that is one awesome. if you happen to be of the hunting persuasion you can dive off the jetty in newport, the only trouble with that is climbing over the rocks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom