Finally went spearfishing!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justin-branam

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After having my gun for about 8 months, i finally got it out a little offshore. i went about 20 miles off the coast of galveston, texas. as we pulled up to a rig, my buddy was like, "i dont know if i want to dive with those sharks" as she pointed into the water. i looked but didnt see them. i asked how big. she said about 3 or 4 feet. i said we can check it out, and always surface if we feel uncomfortable. so we hopped in the water, had about 25-30 feet of vis. and dropeed to the bottom, about 50 feet below. i passed on all of the little snapper, and a few spanish macrel, and after only about 5 minutes, a nice big cobia, her so called shark, swam by. i checked to make sure my buddy knew i was going to take the shot, aimed, and pulled the trigger. had a nice shot right behing the gills. i signaled my buddy to surface, made our safety stop, and hopped back on the boat. i brought with me my 3 1/2 foot 22 pound cobia. this one made me 10 nice sized steaks, and my dad grilled them up with different seasonings. all in all i was very excited. got my first fish, ate my first fish, and enjoyed the entire thing! just thought i would share my outing with you all.

Justin,
Congrat :). Nothing beats the feeling of bagging your first fish, an't it :). Now you will be "hooked" for life. Great story.
Charles.

GREAT story! That's one hell-of-a-first-fish to get! Great way to start out your spearfishing experience! Got any pics?

Welcome to the dark side :)

Here is the pic. bad quality cause its a picture of a picture!!

firstfish.jpg

TropicalDiver:
GREAT pic! Is that a knife in it's head? :)

hahaha! i was hoping no one would notice. i got it in there pretty good due to the little cutout notch on the blade, and I couldn't get it out. i had to wiggle it back and forth when i got back on the boat to get it out, but that was before my mom took the picture. oh well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom