11/4: can somebody attend the SE Florida Coral Reef Initiative Public Meeting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeJacobs

Reaction score
I took this off of the South Florida Diving Headquarters' newsletter. This effects every diver in SE Florida. I have another meeting, but we NEED somebody to be there! I'll cancel my appointment if necessary, but can't somebody else make it?

Important
Citizens invited to help finalize coral reef protection plan. The US Coral Reef Task Force will hold a public meeting on Thursday, November 4 to receive input from the public on a plan to protect the coral reefs of southeast Florida, from Miami-Dade through Martin County. Attendees will receive information about the current action plan and the opportunity to help finalize the strategy with their feedback. It is extremely important that you try to attend or at least send in your comments. You are the eyes of the ocean and now more than ever we need your help.

CORAL REEF CONSERVATION NOTICE OF PUBLIC MEETING
Southeast Florida Coral Reef Initiative Public Meeting Thursday, November 4, 2004 5:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. International Game Fish Association (IGFA) 300 Gulf Stream Way Dania Beach, FL 33004

Citizens who cannot attend may submit their comments or suggestions by November 4, 2004 to:

Chantal Collier, Coral Reef Program Manager chantal.collier@dep.state.fl.us Biscayne Bay Environmental Center 1275A NE 79th Street Causeway, Miami, FL 33138

I intend to go. There were some divers at the last meeting and the group was upset that we were against licensing divers

Dennis - my cell is 954-649-0666 and I'll probably be there early to see what the new Diver's Direct is like. Turns out that I can get out of another meeting to attend.

The conference covers Martin through Dade counties? I'm new, so there's a lot of stuff I don't understand, but I thought Monroe county was part of SE Florida. Or, maybe the reefs here don't need protecting?

Mike,

I'm going to try and attend. I have to head to the airport at 4:00am on Friday, so depending on where I'm at with my 'stuff', I'll head over.

Eric

I MAY be able to make it... hopefully one of you folks will be there to report what's going on. Otherwise, I suppose there is something available on the Internet somewhere.

Charging divers is not going to be the solution; at least it seems like the "long way around." I suppose this gets spotlighted because they're looking for funding for a plan already in mind... WHAT is that plan? Where can se see it?

Anyway, if I can make it I will... I'll try!

Interesting! The task force is trying to replicate the work NOAA did in the Keys Sanctuary. There are a lot of studies in the first couple of years and then they'll be off.

I didn't preceive that charging divers to dive was an issue, but they may have dropped or tabled it until they get to implementation. If I find out more about this I'll post.

Studies - studies - studies (and more studies) that will help to document what's there and what's happening to it are being conducted by 5 or 6 task forces. The leader of the fishing & diving team was very enthusiastic and is a self-described "passionate" recreational diver.

They've identified BOAT ANCHOR DAMAGE as a major threat to the reef - especially the inshore reefs we shore-dive, and I saw a rapid-response concept that I thought might open up volunteer opportunities like the Key's Sanctuary "Reef Medic" program. Though the program hasn't really been as active in the Keys as it could be, we have a tremendous number of Broward divers who would participate in volunteer opportunities - don't you think?

Nothing suggested that divers were thought of as a threat and, in fact, they made a point of saying that one of the main issues was to promote the USABILITY of the reef for recreation. According to one speaker, the reefs bring in a billion dollars a year!

I didn't stay for the fireworks (public discussion) but the dog & pony show I did see made me regard this as a step in the right direction. Hopefully, these guys will gain some traction over the next couple of years and then begin doing something to finally protect our distressed coastline.

MikeJacobs:
I MAY be able to make it... hopefully one of you folks will be there to report what's going on. Otherwise, I suppose there is something available on the Internet somewhere.

Charging divers is not going to be the solution; at least it seems like the "long way around." I suppose this gets spotlighted because they're looking for funding for a plan already in mind... WHAT is that plan? Where can se see it?

Anyway, if I can make it I will... I'll try!
I couldn't make the meeting. I had a job up in Deerfield I had to finish. There is a website. I tried to download the OCT 2004 plan but it wouldn't work for me. I did download the Feb2004 plan. Right at the end is a line, identify funding opportunities. That was the line in an older version that recommended divers fees. It met with some resistance so it was made palatable, until it's passed.

http://www.dep.state.fl.us/coastal/programs/coral/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom