anyone dove Blue Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FL_Chad

Contributor
Reaction score
Wife and I are camping there this weekend and I am debating bringing the scuba gear or just the snorkel gear. Anyone been there? thanks...

I assume you mean Blue Spring in Orange City? Ive snorkeled it and it looks like a good dive. I hear its a good dive anyway. DO a search in this forum.

yes, that is what I meant...the state park. Decided to bring the gear and give it a go.

Tips:

dont take lights in;
add at least 2# to your normal freshwater weighting to allow for the upflow;
best in the middle of the day when sun overhead, otherwise it is a bit dark

I take it your wife dives too, you need a buddy. If you plan on going to more state park springs for diving or just entry to do other stuff, buy the pass, it saves some cash in the long run! Have fun, i have only dove this site 8-10 times now, maybe i will go back again soon.

yes, wife and I will be buddying and I saw the "no lights" unless certifed cave diver on their website. The lady told me that the sign that used to be at 60' was vandalized and is no longer there. Really looking forward to it. I've had a pass for a few years now as we visit alot of state parks (try and go to 1 a month) and yes it is definetly worth it!!!!

All too many times, but for me it is close by, and real cheap. What Simbrooks says is true. Only thing to add is the water is backed up due to hurricane runoff, so the long march with gear on to the springhead and back is a bit rough. Many people dive this Saturday and Sunday, so if you can go during the week it certainly would be less crowded.

Agreed, add 5ft to the normal depths and expect to swim up the channel to the boil, soon you might be able to walk it again, but not quite yer :wink: Lately even on weekends its been fairly quiet, the summer tubing/swimming traffic has fallen off. Although there have been other groups booked in, they dont seem to dive that much and i have hardly ever gone in or come out of there with another group in the water, most of the time we have had the site to ourselves.

Blue Springs is a lovely dive. It is a long walk with gear. It is easier to gear up at your car and just make the treck as opposed to carrying your gear to the picnic area. There is a nice little snack bar for lunch. I always dive back from the sink to the swimming area. There are usually some interesting things to look at on the drift back from the sink.

Have fun.

As dive4funOften said "I always dive back from the sink to the swimming area." It now can't be done. The swimming area is closed due to the water flooding over the docks. You can only swim from the divers entry and return to the same place to exit.
I agree that when the river is open it is a nice drift to the swimming dock, but as of today that is not possible.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom