PNW Creature Identification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DonziMan

Reaction score
Hello there,

It seems that every time I dive I come across at least one creature that I've never seen before. It drives me crazy trying to figure out what it is. Does anyone have suggestions on the definitive creature ID book for the kinds of things we run across here in the cold Pacific waters?

No such tome exists, except for those POS Audobon-styled guides. You'll need to get separate books for fishes and selected invertebrates.

Whelks to Whales is the preferred reference for PNW inverterbrates ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

DonziMan:
Hello there,

It seems that every time I dive I come across at least one creature that I've never seen before. It drives me crazy trying to figure out what it is. Does anyone have suggestions on the definitive creature ID book for the kinds of things we run across here in the cold Pacific waters?

Whelks to Whales is a good overall source. For fish specific see 'Coastal Fish (California to Alaska) by Humann' or 'Coastal Fishes of the Pacific Northwest by Andy Lamb and Phil Edgell'. For more specific critters like nudibranchs and other invertebrates, the 'Sea Challengers' books are pretty good. Browse your LDS, they probably have all these on the shelf. Also, Janna Nichols teaches a great fish and invertebrate ID class if you can catch one. See her website. http://www.pnwscuba.com/index.htm

SteveB

Add Pacific Coast Nudibranchs to your library as well ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom