Pacific NW Hunting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divin4fun

New
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with Salmon or Dungeneous Crabs? I am from Olympia, been diving here in Cuba for a while and am thinking it might be a blast to spear me a salmon or pick up a couple of crab when I come home. Please let me know if you have any experience or know what the rules/regs are on this sort of thing in Washington State.

The only way you can legally kill a salmon with a spear is if you’re a Native American. As far as crabbing check the Washington department of Fisheries web site. I’m not sure when the next season is for crabbing, but last year you could take 6, (I think). They have to be males and you need a crab gauge to measure them underwater.

On the personal note I have never seen a salmon in the ocean while diving, they are usually fast and deep and have no interest in divers, but I do have a buddy who shot one in a river once. I would not recommend that, if you get caught they will take everything, truck, boat, gear, and throw you in jail.

Best of luck with that-

JUMBO

I know the feeling, we frequently see snook over here on the east coast just hanging in the water column, but unless you can get them to sit still long enough to put a hook in their mouth, you will never spear one legally in florida.

They are very good eating though!!

divin4fun:
Does anyone have any experience with Salmon or Dungeneous Crabs? I am from Olympia, been diving here in Cuba for a while and am thinking it might be a blast to spear me a salmon or pick up a couple of crab when I come home. Please let me know if you have any experience or know what the rules/regs are on this sort of thing in Washington State.

Dungeoness crab are easy to get. You will need to find a shallow sandy bottom and look for the shape outline in the sand. And be fast. It's a lot of fun, but watch the legal limits!

I have never seen a salmon while diving even though our waters are full of them.

divin4fun,

Harvesting crab is one of my favorite underwater activities.

Last year, during the navigation segment of my AOW course, my bearing took me directly over a Dungie with at least an 8" back, HUGE! I reflexively dove toward the crab, and then caught myself. It was out of season anyway, but my response was primal.

I live in Edmonds, but I'll go anywhere for good crabbing.

The best crabbing I've found is around Orcas Island. There may not be as much harvesting pressure there, and the crab tend to be larger and heavier shelled.

I've found abundant crab nearby, but I'm concerned about toxins they may have absorbed, as our area is historically industrial. Worst case, if I eat too much, my mercury levels will make me useful as a human thermometer...

Here's a tip: When diving a sandy bottom, look for oval-shaped indentions in the sand, as though someone just buried a pie plate. Dungies often hide under a thin layer, but pop out quickly when prodded or otherwise alarmed. Be ready with your measuring tool and bag! Regulations forbid your taking undersized crab out of the water. Harvesting is most efficient when one person is catching, the other bagging.

I've found scores of crab bedded very densely in some areas... one crab pops up, then another, and then it's like, "Night of the Living Dead", with dozens popping up from the sand all around you. At this point, you and your dive buddy can actually herd the crab from above, with the bagger driving them toward the hunter.

What a hoot!

Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom