Seeking manatee advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I want to go to Crystal River (or any other place that will do the job) for one day in January to have a look on the manatees. I am on a business trip - so one day must do. Where should I go? Any chance to really meet those nice little animals?
Thank you for any advice!
Jan

Jan -

Welcome to the board! You might like to put a new howdy in Intro & greets with a little information on yourself (and fill in your profile).

I've moved your thread over here so the Florida gurus can help you!

We used Bird's Underwater Dive Centre in Crystal River and loved them.

Welcome to the board Jan.
Little animals ?!?! I have been eye to eye with one that was at least 9ft long. They are great to see. I would also recommend Birds, if anyone can find them, it's them. Just be prepaired to get up early. I think we had to be at Birds around 6am but the early morning is the best time to find them in a group

But there are others. For instants, if you're in Central Florida Blue Spring in Orange City host large groups of Manatees during the cooler weather. Last season many times 70+ animals will be in the river at one time. The nice part is that it cost only $10.70 to dive in Blue Springs. You do need a partner but don't need a boat or dive guide. Of course, you are not allowed to interact with Manatees. They can come to you, and we have had them lay down on our fins and nuzzel us, but we can't go to them. So if you like clear water 72 degrees, Manatees, and diving, this might be for you.

While you are down, enjoy the trip and I hope you see lots of manatees if that is what you want to do - they are really cool animals to see if you have never seen one. Just dont tip the jar that says donate to "Save the Manatee Club". They are a group of overzealous folks who like to use false science to promote their already acomplished "cause".

Yes Birds Underwater! Did a dive with them and had a blast.Rudy is a great Instructor,And can find the bubbles=Thats how they find Them,I had a chance to get a last second dive prior to the drive home with a class they had going out,seen Manatees and did a dive into the spring.
Stayed at a great hotel on crystal river about 4 miles south and it was nice it had a dive shop,place to eat,and small bar on the water to relax at. will have to look up name but rates were good.

have to vote for Birds unwater too- they were great- In January ytou should have no worries finding the manatees- especially if you go for the early trip- I would say don't bother with the other main operation in the area- they took out three boats and were incredibly distruptive when I was there.

BTW- be prepared for the cold- very bloody cold. I knwo my blood had got used to the florida cold, But I was following the theory that if it is cold outside, then 72 degrees will seem like a bath-tub- which it does for about a minute- then you freeze!!! take all the wetsuit protection you have- and if you don;t have your own hood, get to the dive shop early to pick a good size.

it is an awesome experience and one which you should not miss.

J

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom