Mosquito good 1st comp?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dewhite

Registered
Reaction score
Howdy,

I'm about as new to the sport of diving as I am to these boards. I decided to spend most of my money up front on training and some fun experiences to make sure that I was really into this stuff. Now that I've got my AOW and a dozen or so dives logged I'm hooked, so I'm buying my own equipment. BC, regs, and all the less expensive things are pretty much squared away, so the last thing on my shopping list is a computer.

I figure that I can spend around 300 or 350 on a computer right now. Looking around it seems like the Suunto Mosquito has alot to offer in that price range. I've read everything I could find about it, and can't find any obvious holes in its feature-set. In addition I've done a search here on the boards for more info, but I guess when you're a 'poor college kid' like me, and you're getting ready to drop a few notes on something you'll be trusting your life to - you just wanna hear what people have to say.

So: opinions, suggestions, questions, answers, and comments - All welcome and appreciated...

I currently have the Cobra and I'm about to buy the Mosquito as my backup computer. I personally love the Suunto line.

astrl

I have the mosquito for more than 3 years and didn't have any problem with it until a few months ago. The depth read 6m deeper than actual, and when I surfaced it continued to log at 6m... I sent the mosquito for repair and Sunnto replaced it with a new one. I only had to pay for freight charges.

Bought mine last year . I'm really satisfied . Conservative (more of a solution than a problem). Easy battery change. It scratches very easily but comes with a protector.
Fair price. There is a computer roundup on www.scubadiving.com if you wanna check some options and algorythms
Marcelo

I'd have no problem recommending the Mosquito as a first computer. Especially if you need a PC interface to the computer. If not then maybe the Suunto Gekko might be better for a first computer. All the software on the Suunto range is very similar.

Mark Goodchild:
I'd have no problem recommending the Mosquito as a first computer. Especially if you need a PC interface to the computer. If not then maybe the Suunto Gekko might be better for a first computer. All the software on the Suunto range is very similar.

The big advantage for the Mosquito is that it is relatively small and also doubles as a watch. The Gekko is a lot larger.

Hi,
I've bought a Mosquito for the same reasons as you and have no regrets.
To protect the display, I added a sheat of 3M transparent stiker and it works very well.
Did 25 dives with it and quickly mastered it. The PC interface is quite expensive.
Like the fact that it is small and can be used like a watch so you always know where it is.
Have fun

User replaceable batteries, good thing. Yes, get one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom