Fin sizing: straddling the fence

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moogyboy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have asked questions about fin sizing before; here's another one...

I wear a size 10.5 shoe. For some reason I chose size 11 when I bought my boots, so I have just a bit of flopspace in them. That's not really relevant to what I'm asking, which is:

In looking at the vast number of fins out there, it seems like for the most part Regulars fit 6-10 or 7-10, and Larges fit 11-13 or so.

Seeing as how I'm smack in between the two sizes, I'm wondering whether to go up or down in fin size. My gut tells me I'd rather be slightly too large than too small, especially figuring my boots into the equation, but I don't know.

(I had a similar dilemma when ordering a BC from Triple-L recently; I chose XL over L, and wasted almost $80 exchanging it for an L when I found I was wrong.)

Incidentally, I'm looking at TUSA Imprex and Genesis Aquaflex to start with. The back-to-basics fan in me wouldn't mind checking out TUSA Liberators but they only seem to go up to size 10; they seem to be closest to the Dacor Cordaflexes I'm replacing. SP Jets are certainly in my mind for some point in the future as well.

cheers

Billy S.

Moogyboy:
I have asked questions about fin sizing before; here's another one...

I wear a size 10.5 shoe. For some reason I chose size 11 when I bought my boots, so I have just a bit of flopspace in them. That's not really relevant to what I'm asking, which is:

In looking at the vast number of fins out there, it seems like for the most part Regulars fit 6-10 or 7-10, and Larges fit 11-13 or so.

Seeing as how I'm smack in between the two sizes, I'm wondering whether to go up or down in fin size. My gut tells me I'd rather be slightly too large than too small, especially figuring my boots into the equation, but I don't know.

(I had a similar dilemma when ordering a BC from Triple-L recently; I chose XL over L, and wasted almost $80 exchanging it for an L when I found I was wrong.)

Incidentally, I'm looking at TUSA Imprex and Genesis Aquaflex to start with. The back-to-basics fan in me wouldn't mind checking out TUSA Liberators but they only seem to go up to size 10; they seem to be closest to the Dacor Cordaflexes I'm replacing. SP Jets are certainly in my mind for some point in the future as well.

cheers

Billy S.

I think the first part of your question is actually the most relevant. I'd go the other way on the boot size. They should be snug with no "flopspace" at all. When I dive wet I wear a whole size smaller Henderson Boot. I can't stress this enough if you are at all interested in Jets...get 'em. Size 10 Henderson Gold Core bootie with XL Jets. That's the call.

No "flopspace" in the bootie! (that sounds like a bad hip hop song) :)

I recommend not straddling fences when trying on fins.. Sounds painful..

re: fins and boot sizes, better go a little big than too small. Small fins or boots can give you cramp and ingrown toenails etc etc which is as painful as straddling fences..

I'd have to agree with Cali68. The materials will acommodate for a bit of stretch, but they're not going to shrink. A fin that is too loose can shift on the foot allowing thrust to be directed in an unwanted direction. Would probably lose some energy, also.

cancun mark:
I recommend not straddling fences when trying on fins.. Sounds painful..

re: fins and boot sizes, better go a little big than too small. Small fins or boots can give you cramp and ingrown toenails etc etc which is as painful as straddling fences..

I don't like any room in the boot especially when shore diving and or luggin' heavy equipment down stairs or rocks. If you put on a pair of Henderson Gold Core's and they're a size small they actually feel just fine and quite comfortable. I have never had any cramps due to a size smaller boot.

BTW the straddling the fence thing was funny!

The Kracken:
I'd have to agree with Cali68. The materials will acommodate for a bit of stretch, but they're not going to shrink. A fin that is too loose can shift on the foot allowing thrust to be directed in an unwanted direction. Would probably lose some energy, also.

Well, I'm probably gonna get another pair of booties anyway, and the correct size this time, although these ones haven't really caused me any problems.

I guess my concern is whether, wearing a proper size bootie, the 7-10 fin will be *too* tight or the 11-13 will be *too* loose.

And remember, it's not whether you straddle the fence or not, it's how thickly padded your underoos are.

cheers

Billy S.

UPDATE

I went to my LDS last night.

I bought new boots: size 10 Tilos Hydro+. That's what they sell. Nice and snug. No flopspace.

I sized, with boots on, three different sizes of Aquaflexes (that's also what they sell). The Medium/Regular--shoe sizes 7-10 or whatever it is--is the one they recommended for my slightly wide 10.5 foot, and it does fit nice and snug, although it did feel a little squeezy sideways. They told me that because these things are new the foot pockets will probably soften up after a few dives; kinda like breaking them in. Hmmm...any thoughts?

Incidentally, there's a band around here called Quarkspace, and they're much nicer to experience than flopspace.

cheers

Billy S.

One comment - Since I noticed you live in the balmy midwest like I do, a drysuit may someday be in your future. Chances are that if the fins are at all snug in booties then there is no way you'll be able to use them for a drysuit. I just purchased my first drysuit and had to buy another set of fins because my old ones didn't fit. I was like you in that I was between sizes and decided to go for the smaller. I could have comfortably dove the larger ones with booties.

Was only a $100 mistake.

Moogyboy:
UPDATE

I went to my LDS last night.

I bought new boots: size 10 Tilos Hydro+. That's what they sell. Nice and snug. No flopspace.

I sized, with boots on, three different sizes of Aquaflexes (that's also what they sell). The Medium/Regular--shoe sizes 7-10 or whatever it is--is the one they recommended for my slightly wide 10.5 foot, and it does fit nice and snug, although it did feel a little squeezy sideways. They told me that because these things are new the foot pockets will probably soften up after a few dives; kinda like breaking them in. Hmmm...any thoughts?

Incidentally, there's a band around here called Quarkspace, and they're much nicer to experience than flopspace.

cheers

Billy S.

I had a pair of not-so-great-fitting deep-see boots, and i hated the way i finned with them on. i bought a pair of henderson gold-core boots, and i am in love with them. they fit SNUG, but very comfortable. The snugger your boots fit, the less water you will have in them, and the warmer your feet will get. When i take my feet out of my boots, there is very little water in them, and the water is HOT!

616fun:
One comment - Since I noticed you live in the balmy midwest like I do, a drysuit may someday be in your future. Chances are that if the fins are at all snug in booties then there is no way you'll be able to use them for a drysuit. I just purchased my first drysuit and had to buy another set of fins because my old ones didn't fit. I was like you in that I was between sizes and decided to go for the smaller. I could have comfortably dove the larger ones with booties.

Was only a $100 mistake.

I may go drysuit at some point, but when I do that I will probably go out and buy a pair o' finns especially for that purpose (probably Jets or a clone). Honestly, though, even a 6.5 mil wetsuit is a bit an unpleasant necessity for me; if I can get by with my shorty or at some point a light-to-medium fullsuit, I will. I'm not really a hardcore cold-water freak yet.

cheers

Billy S.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom