Local Scuba Dependency Workshop - WSSD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeepDog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
West Seattle Scuba Dependency or WSSD is a workshop to help those, like me, who suffer from the following medical condition:

SCUBA DEPENDENCY with manifestations of withdrawal flashbacks
ICD-10 code F22x4.13

So far, the most productive therapy has been my own new group therapy. It involves “Re-experience”. This is where we recreate the flashbacks by actually doing local dives and then re-surfacing to discuss our experience. The flashbacks are beginning to improve (but thankfully they aren’t going away).

Here are just a few of my signs and symptoms of scuba addiction. I’ve read other symptoms here on SB but those were not on this list:

- I can’t focus properly without my facemask on

- I automatically breathe out when I walk up a flight of stairs

- My picture now appears on the "Local Species" bulletin at my LDS

- Fresh air is starting to taste funny

- My house always smells like wet neoprene . . . and stuff

- My car smells worse than my house

- I worry too much about elevators ascending too quickly

- I bring my dive light to bed in case I need to go down

- I wake up at night flailing to reach my regulator

- My dive car is held together by rust

- I clear my ears before getting on a down escalator

- My scuba gear gets more time in the bathroom than I do

Do you have any of the above symptoms? If so, and you are in the Seattle area, my therapy may be right for you. For local therapy, PM me to help shape the West Seattle Scuba Dependency (WSSD) workshop. We can plan our regular group sessions together locally on weekday evenings and/or on weekends. Gear ownership preferred.

DeepDog :cheers:

DeepDog:
West Seattle Scuba Dependency or WSSD is a workshop to help those, like me, who suffer from the following medical condition:

SCUBA DEPENDENCY with manifestations of withdrawal flashbacks
ICD-10 code F22x4.13

So far, the most productive therapy has been my own new group therapy. It involves “Re-experience”. This is where we recreate the flashbacks by actually doing local dives and then re-surfacing to discuss our experience. The flashbacks are beginning to improve (but thankfully they aren’t going away).
Do you have any of the above symptoms? If so, and you are in the Seattle area, my therapy may be right for you. For local therapy, PM me to help shape the West Seattle Scuba Dependency (WSSD) workshop. We can plan our regular group sessions together locally on weekday evenings and/or on weekends. Gear ownership preferred.

DeepDog :cheers:

Oh goodness, your post is hysterical but (sadly) so true. I suffer from all the above symptoms and more. I have been unable to seek real treatment recently due to a mix up in priorities, silly things like colloge and work. Your post has made me realize that I am relapsing and should really put my therapy needs first :wink: Thanks for the wake up call.

Orion DM

Is it considered a medical condition covered by long term disability if I NEED to relocate to join the WSSD????? Or could you open an affiliate in my area?

There doesn't seem to be a cure. Lately I've taken to sleeping with my regulator in my mouth to avoid that flailing sensation of which you speak. But it gets worse. I seem to be addicted to cold water diving. Something about the thrills and chills really gets my blood going. Thank you West Seattle SCUBA Dependancy, you may have turned my life around!!

Alkiman:
There doesn't seem to be a cure. Lately I've taken to sleeping with my regulator in my mouth to avoid that flailing sensation of which you speak. But it gets worse.

I have found it helps if you attach it to an air source - the breathing is too hard otherwise, I can't get any sleep. This way I manage to steal a few precious moments of rest before the nightmares come back..... the fins, the fins.... hmmm, perhaps my condition is more serious then previously anticipated. :D

Orion DM

pennypue:
Is it considered a medical condition covered by long term disability if I NEED to relocate to join the WSSD????? Or could you open an affiliate in my area?

Pennypue,

Come on out, we have plenty of LTD cases out here. Don't worry about HMO coverage, the therapy's free. Hey, it ain't Cozumel but the Puget Sound flashbacks have been great. :cheers:

DeepDog

DeepDog:
Pennypue,

Come on out, we have plenty of LTD cases out here. Don't worry about HMO coverage, the therapy's free. Hey, it ain't Cozumel but the Puget Sound flashbacks have been great. :cheers:

DeepDog
Is it a bad sign when you give up showers in favor of baths and refuse to leave you head above the waterline?

pennypue:
Is it a bad sign when you give up showers in favor of baths and refuse to leave you head above the waterline?

Not unless you do it in cold water while wearing a drysuit ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

where can I get a drysuit cheap and quick?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom