Canadians in Curacao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stever

Registered
Reaction score
If any of you Maritimer’s get the chance to take a Caribbean dive vacation, I highly recommend the island of Curacao. It is one of the ABC Islands the southern most reaches of the Caribbean Sea. Being just 12 degrees north of the Equator, 65 km off the north coast of South America, and right between Aruba and Bonaire makes the diving here incredible year round.

I am from Moncton NB, well originally from Halifax and knew nothing about diving until I stumbled on a dream job in Curacao. I moved here in May, started diving in July and have logged 30 dived in the last three months. I don’t think I can come close to describing how amazing the diving is here. The visibility is generally 30 plus meters in crystal clear aqua water. The surface temps in 30 or 31 and the bottom temp at 40 meters is 28 or 29, Celsius of course.

We regularly see barracuda, giant sea turtles, rainbow parrotfish, a variety of squid, octopus, 2-meter long green Moray eels, spotted morays, stingrays, red snappers, sometimes dolphins, as well as a huge number of other common species. There are some great wreck dives, wall dives, and the coral reefs are incredible.

If anyone is ever interesting in heading this way let me know and I can fill you in on all the details and help you get things organized.

There are quite a few of us east coast Canadians here, and we welcome more.

Here is a link to the website of one of our own who lives here on a sailing ship.

www.insulinde.com

Steve

Hey Steve.
I'll keep that in mind if I ever head down that way. If you are ever back in Halifax look me up and we'll do some diving around here. Not as warm so it may be a shock to your system but is pretty awesome around here as well.
JK

I am flying into Halifax on the 19th of December for a few weeks of vacation over Christmas. I think just the change in air temperature will be enough of a shock to my system, so I don’t think I will attempt any dives at that time of year! Hopefully there will be come snow at Wentworth and I can get some skiing in instead.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom