newbie q's 101... Why not JBL?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rpnick

Registered
Reaction score
I live in the San Diego area and I'm interested in learning to spearfish. I've been fishing for 35 years, but only OUT of the water! Hoping for some answers... I gather from reading these threads that a pole spear is the best place to start. How exactly does one use it? Do you put the strap between your thumb and forefinger and keep hold of it, or do you let go for a shot? And is there anywhere around here to get some local info? Any books or dvd's that explain tips and tactics? Thanks folks, ...N

With a pole spear, you hold the rubber tubing as you describe. To "load" the spear, run your hand toward the tip of the spear, stretching the tubing. Hold tightly to the spear shaft until you are ready to shoot it. Open you hand and the spear goes in the direction it is pointed.

I also live in San Diego and use both pole spears and spearguns. Also, nothing wrong with JBL.

Thanks for that Tygh. I figured that was all there was to it, but thought perhaps one should tie a line to it and let go when shooting. Guessing you're supposed to hold on to it by the strap and that they're only for real close range shots... Hence the reason they're good for beginners, huh? Where do you normally go hunting? La Jolla or Pt. Loma? ...N

rpnick,

A polespear can be a good way to start spearing because the limited range will make you learn to stalk your fish. The relative low cost can also be helpful. BTW if you give the pole a slight twist it will keep it from bowing. A motion like shooting pool can give the pole a tad more speed for some fish, but could also spook a skittish fish.

You will however, soon find out that a pole spear is not a substitute for a good long speargun. Since the water where you live is relatively clear I would advise against buying a gun under 48". 48" to 60" is where the bulk of the best guns fall. It's a little confusing because some manufacturers call a gun by it's overall lenght while others go by the shaft length.

Many brands or models of guns are better for some kinds of shooting than they are at others. A good way to research this would be to do a search on www.spearboard.com , it's been thoroughly discussed there.

One last bit of advice...don't look for a cheap "get you by" kind of gun, it will end up costing you more in the long run, than to research and start with at least a good middle priced gun. (Especially in lost fish!)

Chad

Thanks Chad, I couldn't agree more with the get-by idea. Learned my lesson too many times already that way!!! I just wonder why everyone bashes JBL guns. I haven't seen any other brand sold as widely around these parts. I have a post over on spearboard.com too to the same effect, but no replies... More of an advanced group of spear-wielders I suppose :wink: Perhaps I'll find out tomorrow. Heading out now to do some late-season paddie-hopping and I'm taking my gear. My friend is going to let me use a Riffe something-or-other if we find a wayward tuna or mossback... dodo??? I'll post results, ...N

I don't see why not get a JBL, I've been using them for the last 25 yrs (they were distributed by Voit AMF) and esentially is the same gun as today, a couple of improovements, but the same gun in esence.

I don't dive every weekend, but I do my share of diving for sure and I have only replaced bands, tips and a couple of shafts.

Overall is a good gun, comparable to the AB Billers, both brands have a great parts availability, so replacing any broken parts shouldn't present any problems.

the most expensive guns like Riffe, Wong and others, are excellent guns, but they are very expensive to acquire and parts are more expensive than the other brands.

If you plan on spearfishing every weekend, you probably would like to buy the top notch brands, but if you're going to spearfish once in a while, get the economical JBLs or AB Billers, you don't want to have a $500.00+ gun sitting in your garage to be collecting dust most weekends while you do some motocross or any other activities.

And yes, they get the big fish too, I've speared a lot of 20+ lbs fish with my JBL, it's not the gun, it's the fisherman what counts, a friend of mine has a el cheapo type Kmart gun and takes more fish than me every time out.

Practice as much as you can and most of all enjoy your dives.

Thanks Mandy. I was just wondering why everyone seems to bash that brand around here... I agree with your assessment, but how did you know I ride mx too?!!! esp?

Yesterday's trip was one long boat ride, but I did jump in down at the Coronado Islands and played for a while, but only saw small ocean whitefish, so I didn't shoot any. Liked the way the Riffe handled though. cul8r, ...N

I do some MX ocasionally, surfing, Kite surfing, golf, shooting and many other activities.
I do love diving, but I don't live to dive (I would like to, but my other hobbies and responsabilities forbid me from doing so).

I'm glad you decide to get into spearfishing, it's very exciting being face to face with a big fish and you can discriminate what to shoot.
Try to educate yourself in what you can fish legally and most of all enjoy your dives.

Allways try to be safe with your gun, many divers fear the spearos 'cause there are some knuckle heads out there that give us a bad rep, just use comon sense and don't be afraid to ask a more experience spearo any questions that you may have.

Go to spearboard.com they're a great bunch of guys and I've learned more in the past few months than in my 25 yrs of spearo experience.

If you decide to get the top notch guns, try to test one so you know what you're getting into.

Good luck and enjoy your spearfishing, I can't recomend it enough !!!!

rpnick,
I vary my locations depending on conditions and the amount of hassle I want to go through. I have a Zodiac, so we end up in the kelp beds off Sunset Cliffs quite a bit. Also anchor off Boomer's and work the kelp there as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom