We're headed for Key Largo Nov 11-15

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
But this is not a request of info, as I have that pretty well covered - unless you know something I don't?! :eek: And this is not an invitaion to dive with us, as we have that covered as well in the Singles Trips forum.

But - if any ScubaBoarders - single or not - will be there next weekend, it'd still be nice to meet for dinner or whatever. Our evening plans will be a large restaurant to be named (here, I could use suggestions?) that can handle a dozen Friday night, more Saturday night, then - a Bay Beach picnic at the Hungry Pelican for those of us still there Sunday night.

I can be reached at my regular cell-phone 806-292-0009 until Thursday, then my travel cell-phone: 806-292-1855

:cowboy:

I toying with the idea of a mini escape in December and wondering how that place was. I liked the location as it is close to "It's a Dive" though I am not game to pay for the marriott rates, hell the breakfast there almost kills me at $20.00, a bit pricey for breakfast IMHO.

Orlando Eric:
I toying with the idea of a mini escape in December and wondering how that place was. I liked the location as it is close to "It's a Dive" though I am not game to pay for the marriott rates, hell the breakfast there almost kills me at $20.00, a bit pricey for breakfast IMHO.
I think that it's cute, comfy, and cheap - the 3 Big Cs! Bring your own cell-phone and alarm clock, make your own bed, exchange towels at the office, but I like it. You can read my most recent comments here; http://scubaboard.com/t69066-singles-wrecks-&-reefs-key-largo-dive-in-nov-12-14.html

There are other hotels on the rock between Hungry Pelican and Marriott. Holiday Inn is nice, and just like every other Holiday Inn. The local charm of the HP helps me enjoy the rock more.

DandyDon:
But this is not a request of info, as I have that pretty well covered - unless you know something I don't?! :eek: And this is not an invitaion to dive with us, as we have that covered as well in the Singles Trips forum.

But - if any ScubaBoarders - single or not - will be there next weekend, it'd still be nice to meet for dinner or whatever. Our evening plans will be a large restaurant to be named (here, I could use suggestions?) that can handle a dozen Friday night, more Saturday night, then - a Bay Beach picnic at the Hungry Pelican for those of us still there Sunday night.

I can be reached at my regular cell-phone 806-292-0009 until Thursday, then my travel cell-phone: 806-292-1855

:cowboy:
Sundowners and the Islamorada Fish Company both offer outdoor dockside seating for large groups, along with awesome sunset views and excellent (tho pricey) fresh seafood. Senor Frijoles (next to Sundowners) might work; but, being from Tejas, you're not likely to be impressed with the "Mexican Cuisine" here in the Keys. The Latin American Cafe is good (especially if you like Cuban food) and could probably accommodate your group quite nicely. Reservations are mandatory for large groups on weekends. Let me know what you decide... I'd love to meet you all while you're here!

KeyLargoBrent:
Sundowners and the Islamorada Fish Company both offer outdoor dockside seating for large groups, along with awesome sunset views and excellent (tho pricey) fresh seafood. Senor Frijoles (next to Sundowners) might work; but, being from Tejas, you're not likely to be impressed with the "Mexican Cuisine" here in the Keys. The Latin American Cafe is good (especially if you like Cuban food) and could probably accommodate your group quite nicely. Reservations are mandatory for large groups on weekends. Let me know what you decide... I'd love to meet you all while you're here!

I've eaten at Islamorada Fish Company before and the food was excellent! Great fresh fish. Hope you make it to dinner I am looking forward to meeting as many new divers as I can.

KeyLargoBrent:
Yeah, I was thinking Sr Frijoles would be nice. Ate there in March. Good food, great margaritas (one is plenty for a diver go out in the morning!), nice deck.

I called today and set up a res for 15-20 Saturday night. I hit on the manqager for a special for our group, and she transfered me to the big boss - who told me that they don't really do that. They wouldn't have to, as they get plenty of business, but guess he didn't want to take my group elsewhere - as he did agree to a 10% discoutn on food! Not all that much, but a nice gesture. So we're in there, tentatively for 7:30pm.

I'd like to do the little Italian cafe there on the hiway, but no way could they handle our group. The Cuban restaurant sounds interesting. I stopped in there for coffee once, I think. I'll look at their ad in the phone book I picked up last spring. :crafty:

I tried to reply to this thread yesterday, but for some reason couldn't upload (probably finicky BellSouth). I'm on a personal quest to eat at each and every restaurant here. It'll take awhile, but I'm up to the challenge... Anyway, sounds like you've selected Frijoles. Is that a definite? I'd like to meet up with y'all and it be a good chance for me to meet other locals like Brent. Post the definite plans or shoot me an email at lowedaph@hotmail.com
Daphne

The folks in my group who responded today all said CUBAN for Friday, so I'll plan that way as soon as I can.

DandyDon:
The folks in my group who responded today all said CUBAN for Friday, so I'll plan that way as soon as I can.
The Latin American Bayfront Grill is just south of the drawbridge leading to Key Largo (~mm107) across the ICW from Gilberts. The food and ambience is GREAT! Check 'em out online at
http://yp.bellsouth.com/sites/bayfrontgrill/ and let me know what you decide.

KeyLargoBrent:
The Latin American Bayfront Grill is just south of the drawbridge leading to Key Largo (~mm107) across the ICW from Gilberts. The food and ambience is GREAT! Check 'em out online at
http://yp.bellsouth.com/sites/bayfrontgrill/ and let me know what you decide.
That one?! I was thinking of one closer in - and thinking it wasn't that big, but I'd found his one in the phonebook, not registering yet exactly where it was. Confusion cleared, thanks!

After some of us traveling over 1,000 miles to dive, surely I can get them to go 8 miles back up the road for Cuban. :banana: I'll ring them today.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom