Camping season in NFL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It never really ends. With the exception of some colder nights when cold fronts come through, it doesn't drop below the upper 50's or lower 60's. When cold fronts flit by you can drop right into the 20's, but it'll warm up soon enough. :)

Where do you want to camp?

CBulla:
It never really ends. With the exception of some colder nights when cold fronts come through, it doesn't drop below the upper 50's or lower 60's. When cold fronts flit by you can drop right into the 20's, but it'll warm up soon enough. :)

Where do you want to camp?

When I usually go in late December each year, it's pretty chilly at night. When we went in August it was miserable hot. I hear now it's nice in the evenings, and wondered when that window of prime camping time closes.

Would camp either Ginnie or a little furhter north around Luraville (Peacock Springs area).

crawford:
When I usually go in late December each year, it's pretty chilly at night. When we went in August it was miserable hot. I hear now it's nice in the evenings, and wondered when that window of prime camping time closes.

Would camp either Ginnie or a little furhter north around Luraville (Peacock Springs area).

Mid October through early December and late Feb through early to late April are the best. I camped very regularly for 9 years in FL and only had one really cold night that I can remember. I use something for padding between myself and the ground when I camp anymore as well as take a down blanket or comforter on cool camping nights. It's made a difference :)

crawford:

Saturday morning the temp is supposed to be 43 and 48 Sunday morning.

Yup, PERFECT camping weather to have a nice futon mattress down and down comforter. You'll sleep the best you ever have wrapped up all comfortable.. get up to some campfire coffee and bacon-n-eggs off the skillet!

CBulla:
Yup, PERFECT camping weather to have a nice futon mattress down and down comforter. You'll sleep the best you ever have wrapped up all comfortable.. get up to some campfire coffee and bacon-n-eggs off the skillet!

Sounds great! I am glad it is finally cooling off enough to camp. I am planning on going weekend after next. The only camping I have done here in Florida was near Tampa. I want to go somewhere new. Any recommended sites?

Okay, this is gonna sound really weird, but here it goes....
Tents... and alligators?

In Oklahoma, we just have to worry about raccoons and possums. Well, and the ocassional copperhead, but that's usually not a problem at 3am with a flashlight.

So, other than sleeping in the pickup bed, how is this handled?

Trisha:
Okay, this is gonna sound really weird, but here it goes....
Tents... and alligators?

In Oklahoma, we just have to worry about raccoons and possums. Well, and the ocassional copperhead, but that's usually not a problem at 3am with a flashlight.

So, other than sleeping in the pickup bed, how is this handled?

While there is a Lake Placid in Florida, it's definitely not THAT Lake Placid! :D

Alligators are very benign almost all the time. THe only real issue is a female near her nest. If you set up camp and haven't been chased away, you aren't near enough to a nest to be a problem.

When I was a child, we always swam in a lake (large pond) that had alligators. We would even occasionally bring out a flashlight at night to see the reflective eyes.

The only time they got us out was when one large-ish gator (7ft?) was showing itself around us too much. (losing fear of humans) They called us out, my neighbor's dad shot the gator (The '70's in backwater Florida was a different time.) and we went back to swimming. No big deal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom