Nikon 4300 cycle time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

howard4113

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Last year diving in Cozumel, I was a bit perturbed at the cycle speed of my Nikon 4300. I missed several shots waiting for the camera to save images between shots. :11: I'm getting ready to go again - so I thought I'd run some tests. I shoot with the flash on and in macro mode most of the time. After a shot, the LCD screen would show the picture for several seconds - then go black. A couple of seconds would pass and an hourglass would appear. :clock: After a total of 10 or 11 seconds the LCD would return and I could take another picture. I tried pressing the shutter halfway during this process - as I've read that the picture is saved to a buffer; and you can take another picture while the current one is being saved. This did not work for me - the hourglass stayed until the 11 seconds expired regardless of any actions on my part.

I've read on several forums that faster CF cards help this problem and can reduce cycle times to about 5 seconds. I've also read that any card larger than 128Mb will slow the process down. One person said that he has a SanDisk 512Mb Ultra II card (9Mb/sec - about 60x) that worked pretty fast - so I thought I'd try one in spite of the "large card" warning. Yesterday, I stopped by Circuit City - they have the card for $80 before a $15 rebate. I took my camera so I could test the card (I'd return it immediately if there were no improvement). Using the same settings (macro+flash) the card cycled in under 5 seconds - and to my surprise :biggrin2: the screen never went black and there was no hourglass. I could also now press the shutter halfway immediately after taking a picture and take another picture (with LCD display) after only a couple of seconds. I could take at least three or four this way with no slowdown. Great! Of course I wanted to verify the speed against the old card, so I stuck my old 256Mb card back in and tried the same test. The speed of the old card was still pretty close to the new card! I've not been able to reproduce the original slow condition since using the faster card. Go figure. :wazzup:

The problem you probably have is one the memory card, second the battery, third the size/quality of the pic. If you go on TIFF be prepared to wait 25 seconds for the next shot.

Robert

howard4113:
Last year diving in Cozumel, I was a bit perturbed at the cycle speed of my Nikon 4300. I missed several shots waiting for the camera to save images between shots. :11: I'm getting ready to go again - so I thought I'd run some tests. I shoot with the flash on and in macro mode most of the time. After a shot, the LCD screen would show the picture for several seconds - then go black. A couple of seconds would pass and an hourglass would appear. :clock: After a total of 10 or 11 seconds the LCD would return and I could take another picture. I tried pressing the shutter halfway during this process - as I've read that the picture is saved to a buffer; and you can take another picture while the current one is being saved. This did not work for me - the hourglass stayed until the 11 seconds expired regardless of any actions on my part.

I've read on several forums that faster CF cards help this problem and can reduce cycle times to about 5 seconds. I've also read that any card larger than 128Mb will slow the process down. One person said that he has a SanDisk 512Mb Ultra II card (9Mb/sec - about 60x) that worked pretty fast - so I thought I'd try one in spite of the "large card" warning. Yesterday, I stopped by Circuit City - they have the card for $80 before a $15 rebate. I took my camera so I could test the card (I'd return it immediately if there were no improvement). Using the same settings (macro+flash) the card cycled in under 5 seconds - and to my surprise :biggrin2: the screen never went black and there was no hourglass. I could also now press the shutter halfway immediately after taking a picture and take another picture (with LCD display) after only a couple of seconds. I could take at least three or four this way with no slowdown. Great! Of course I wanted to verify the speed against the old card, so I stuck my old 256Mb card back in and tried the same test. The speed of the old card was still pretty close to the new card! I've not been able to reproduce the original slow condition since using the faster card. Go figure. :wazzup:

I agree with Stingray. If you are using TIFF then don't expect fast recycle. Made that mistake once. 25secs minimum. Your problem seems to be the battery. When the battery is low, the camera will try to save battery by shutting of the LCD screen after every shot. That makes the recycle time a lot slower. Best solution is to use a fresh battery for every dive. I have 3 fully charged batteries with me everytime I go out on a boat. And if possible, recharge your batteries between dives!

Tim

And I would do one more thing just to save the battery life, set the "Auto Off" to 30 seconds, in my case I was able to go 2 - 50 minute dives with one single battery.

StingRob

howard4113:

OK I should have given my settings. I agree that the format and battery will affect cycle time dramatically. The format was FINE (JPG) in all cases - NOT TIFF, RAW.... Battery was fully charged. THE ONLY VARIABLE WAS THE CARD. I thought I'd made that clear - but I guess not. Anyway, I'd like to start a new thread for CP4300's with recommended settings. For example, I set my monitor off to 30 mins, and turn it on and off with the up arrow on the circular dial. I also have 3 batteries - and use a fully charged one on every dive.

I guess you set it to turn off at 30 seconds not minutes, otherwise battery will not be saved.
Have you tried to go on Auto mode and press the macro button bellow monitor or you used the settings.macro mode? I haven't tried that one but I guess is same thing.

StingRob

howard4113:
...For example, I set my monitor off to 30 mins....

It's 30 minutes. If you use the up arrow on the multi-selector (it's labeled "monitor" on the case) you can turn the monitor off when you don't need it. That puts the camera into sleep mode. At a 30 sec setting, the thing always turns off just before the fish is perfectly positioned - then it takes another few seconds to wake up again. I like to control that function myself.

Ok, the good thing is that you save the battery life.

StingRob

howard4113:
It's 30 minutes. If you use the up arrow on the multi-selector (it's labeled "monitor" on the case) you can turn the monitor off when you don't need it. That puts the camera into sleep mode. At a 30 sec setting, the thing always turns off just before the fish is perfectly positioned - then it takes another few seconds to wake up again. I like to control that function myself.

Back
Top Bottom