PDA

View Full Version : depth gauge

squee!
November 5th, 2004, 03:26 PM
In DIR, do people typically dive with a single computer and use it as a depth gauge as well for the sake of minimalism? Or do you dive with a computer and an analog depth gauge on your wrist for backup? Just curious. thanks.

Spectre
November 5th, 2004, 03:42 PM
You woudln't have an analog depth guage as backup. Most people use a digital depth guage [like uwatec] as their backup, and use a computer is guage mode as their primary.

salty
November 5th, 2004, 03:43 PM
If a computer is worn it is as a depth gauge/bottom timer only. Computers are not used to plan a dive while diving.

Your buddys gauge is your back up

squee!
November 5th, 2004, 04:20 PM
If a computer is worn it is as a depth gauge/bottom timer only. Computers are not used to plan a dive while diving.

Your buddys gauge is your back up

If a computer is worn only as a depth gauge/bottom timer, then what computer is reccomended for DIR? I would assume it would a be a very simple, relatively feature-free model. Is this correct?

detroit diver
November 5th, 2004, 04:23 PM
If a computer is worn only as a depth gauge/bottom timer, then what computer is reccomended for DIR? I would assume it would a be a very simple, relatively feature-free model. Is this correct?

As long as it works in gauge mode, you're in good shape. I like ones that will log my dives for me. The Suunto vyper works well, as does the Oceanic Versa Pro. I like the VP better because the readout is larger.

d33ps1x
November 5th, 2004, 04:24 PM
That completely depends on you.

I use a Suunto stinger only because I like to wear it as a watch on dive weekends and enjoy downloading my profiles to the computer.

A Uwatec $120 bottom timer/depth gauge is more than adaquate as your primary gauge.

Basically anything that reliably tells depth and time is just fine.

salty
November 5th, 2004, 04:25 PM
yep

There are a few that seem popular OMs has one and another company has the same thing with a diffrent name. I dont know what the popular ones are perhaps a search would give you the information on brands and types

Wijbrandus
November 12th, 2004, 03:30 PM
It's called the Uwatec Digital.

Ordered mine from LP for 120 bucks a year ago, since my LDS didn't have any.

VTernovski
November 12th, 2004, 06:54 PM
yep

There are a few that seem popular OMs has one and another company has the same thing with a diffrent name. I dont know what the popular ones are perhaps a search would give you the information on brands and types

Suunto D3 is quite nice.

jonnythan
November 12th, 2004, 07:08 PM
Actually, most of the computers that can be put into gauge mode are the more expensive, feature packed ones.. you then turn off all the features to activate gauge mode ;)

The easy, cheap, reliable, worry free way is this:

http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.aspx?op=ItemDisplay&ProductID=OMSBT

Only shows depth, max depth, dive time, and temperature. Shows surface interval during the SI and has a built in log book. No computer functionality - nothing you don't need.

salty
November 12th, 2004, 07:31 PM
Suunto D3 is quite nice.
The D3 is sweet!!! I wish I had one for freediving, I alwas wondered how it would work out for regular diving.

ScubaDadMiami
November 14th, 2004, 01:50 AM
I use a Suunto D3 in guage mode as a primary. I like it because it has a resettable timer so that I can keep track of my deco stops. You'd be surprised how easy it is to forget (hmmm... am I at that stop for 8 minutes or is it 6?).

I use the Uwatec as a backup.

ScubaDadMiami
November 14th, 2004, 01:51 AM
I use a Suunto D3 in guage mode as a primary. I like it because it has a resettable timer so that I can keep track of my deco stops. You'd be surprised how easy it is to forget (hmmm... am I at that stop for 8 minutes or is it 6?). I also like being able to download and study my dive profiles.

I use the Uwatec as a backup.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1