depth gauge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

squee!

Contributor
Reaction score
In DIR, do people typically dive with a single computer and use it as a depth gauge as well for the sake of minimalism? Or do you dive with a computer and an analog depth gauge on your wrist for backup? Just curious. thanks.

You woudln't have an analog depth guage as backup. Most people use a digital depth guage [like uwatec] as their backup, and use a computer is guage mode as their primary.

If a computer is worn it is as a depth gauge/bottom timer only. Computers are not used to plan a dive while diving.

Your buddys gauge is your back up

salty:
If a computer is worn it is as a depth gauge/bottom timer only. Computers are not used to plan a dive while diving.

Your buddys gauge is your back up

If a computer is worn only as a depth gauge/bottom timer, then what computer is reccomended for DIR? I would assume it would a be a very simple, relatively feature-free model. Is this correct?

squee!:
If a computer is worn only as a depth gauge/bottom timer, then what computer is reccomended for DIR? I would assume it would a be a very simple, relatively feature-free model. Is this correct?

As long as it works in gauge mode, you're in good shape. I like ones that will log my dives for me. The Suunto vyper works well, as does the Oceanic Versa Pro. I like the VP better because the readout is larger.

That completely depends on you.

I use a Suunto stinger only because I like to wear it as a watch on dive weekends and enjoy downloading my profiles to the computer.

A Uwatec $120 bottom timer/depth gauge is more than adaquate as your primary gauge.

Basically anything that reliably tells depth and time is just fine.

yep

There are a few that seem popular OMs has one and another company has the same thing with a diffrent name. I dont know what the popular ones are perhaps a search would give you the information on brands and types

It's called the Uwatec Digital.

Ordered mine from LP for 120 bucks a year ago, since my LDS didn't have any.

salty:
yep

There are a few that seem popular OMs has one and another company has the same thing with a diffrent name. I dont know what the popular ones are perhaps a search would give you the information on brands and types

Suunto D3 is quite nice.

Actually, most of the computers that can be put into gauge mode are the more expensive, feature packed ones.. you then turn off all the features to activate gauge mode :wink:

The easy, cheap, reliable, worry free way is this:

http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.aspx?op=ItemDisplay&ProductID=OMSBT

Only shows depth, max depth, dive time, and temperature. Shows surface interval during the SI and has a built in log book. No computer functionality - nothing you don't need.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom