new sony cyber space

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amisha

Reaction score
England - but i seem to get around the globe a lot
hello,

I have just bought a new sony cyber space, 5 pixl thing, and have ordered my underwater housing.

I have never taken pics underwater before, and as i am taking my camera on my dive trip next month, i was wondering if anybody had any tips, or things i must know before i start experimenting

thank you x :11ztongue

its the Sony Cyber Shot DSC-P100
and the housing i am ordering is the Cyber Shot Marine Pack MPK-PHB

#1 - know your camera in the housing. Be able to quickly and accurately work the buttons to change settings. Practice, practice, practice. On land is OK, in the water (any water) is better. Practice close-up work to get a feel for how close you can get to a subject.

#2 - do a search here...this question has been answered quite recently in the Canon section (I think look for a post by AmyJ with the subject A95?). Most of the discussion is applicable to most cameras. Also check out the Getting started thread...it has excellent info.

#3 - ask questions :)

#4 - Have Fun!!

This is a repeat of what I wrote for another Sony user.

Agree with above but have a lot of experience with a Sony so I'll stick to that advice. My last trip I lost a whole stick of pictures with Jake's help (my fault though), so don't be to hard on Michael.

I have a DSC-P5, your's should be very similiar. Make sure you have a lanyard as the Sonys are slightly negative. You do not want your last view of your camera being it sinking into the deep at Karpata. On this note most shots are at arm's length so make sure it's long enough.

The settings I use are as follows, Flash on low (anything else is to hot), macro on (be ready to toggle), and all other settings on auto. You can preview UW and if you then hit the zoom you can zoom in on the last shot to check the focus.

Make sure you seal the camera in an air conditioned room and be very carefull with cleaning the o-ring. Make sure the LCD is set to full information mode (you can not toggle in the case). Do not use the anti-fog solution (the only time I used it the camera fogged for the whole dive). The other issue is to minimize how long the camera is left on UW, this will cause fogging from the heat. My procedure is to turn it on, take the shot turn it off, and slip back under my BC strap.

Don't stress about keeping up with your partner, two reasons, one it will make him slow down which is the way to go in Bonaire and two you can always catch up with the great visibility you will see him.

When you get back and have all those wonderful pictures there will be a lot more work in post precessing. You will be amazed how a bad picture can be make great.

Best of luck and make sure you show us the shots. I love Bonaire.

Cecil -

The Sony specific information would be good info for the Getting Started thread, I think. I don't recall there being much Sony specific info in that thread. If you have time you might want to pop a post about your experience with your rig & general Sony "tips" in that thread, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom