Trip Report: Kona, Big Island Oct 20-25th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Em_Dee

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi there!
I just wanted to let everyone know how my recent trip to the Big Island went.

I only got to do 4 dives, but it was well worth hauling my gear all the way from Texas.

I did a 2-tank morning dive on 10/22. Great weather, the visibility was 100+ ft. Saw too many fish to list here. Saw an Octopus, White Tip shark taking a snooze, couple of eels, etc. Dive sites were Pyramid Pinnacles and Kaiwi.

The morning of 10/24 I did some snokeling at Kahalu'u Beach Park at the recommendation of my hotel. It was not too crowded and wasn't polluted at all.
Swam with several Sea Turtles, again too many fish to list. The only reason I tore myself away from the turtles was for my next 2 dives.

On the evening of 10/24 I did the Sunset dive/Manta Ray night dive. The dive site was called Garden Eel Bay. We didn't get to see the garden eels, but apparently the videographer was able to get them with the camera's zoom. It was incredible to be so close to the Manta Rays. I could hardly believe I was there! I am anxiously awaiting the video tape I ordered.

I dove with Jack's Diving Locker. These people are so friendly and very organized. I will be recommending them from now on and will use them again in the future.

This trip I was accompanied by 2 non-divers. For my next trip here ( I WILL be returning) I will either bring dive buddies or schedule more diving.

A big Mahalo to all of you who sent suggestions to me when I first planned the trip. It was most helpful.

I am still sort of in "vacation mode" even though I had to go back to work this past week. Gotta pay for these trips somehow. I'm eating the last of the chocolate covered macadamia nuts with a cup of coconut coffee and dreaming of the next trip.
(sigh) :sigh:

-MD

Wow your trip sounds fun! I can't wait to get back to the big island.

When you were snorkeling at Kahalu'u, didn't you find it rather shallow? Or is there something I missed? I never swam out past the breakwater, but inside it was pretty darn shallow everywhere I went. And it showed a lot of wear and tear from standing up. GREAT fishies and turtles there, though, like you say! I just wonder because I have seen it listed as a scuba site...people must go outside the breakwater?

Gotta agree with you about Jack's Diving Locker. Great bunch of folks.

Thanks for the report! :)

Gregg

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
Wow your trip sounds fun! I can't wait to get back to the big island.

When you were snorkeling at Kahalu'u, didn't you find it rather shallow? Gregg

Oh yeah! It was so shallow in places I was sucking in my tummy while swimming overhead! It would be impossible for people to not eventually step or scrape on anything. Yet, it is still a beautiful place. Hopefullly everyone will know to just do the best they can to keep it intact. I loved the turtles and everyone kept a respectful distance while enjoying them. They don't seem to mind the human company either. I hope that never changes.

I didn't go past the break either, nor did I consider shore diving from there. I think I would like to do that next time. As much as I loved the boat diving (and the spoiling from them), it might be a little easier on my wallet to mix in some shore diving for a day or so. The only reason I didn't was because it was my first trip to Hawaii and I was the only diver.

By the way, I forgot to mention to everyone; don't forget to visit the Kailua Candy Co. and The French Bakery. Advice on the bakery, get there your first day, early in the morning when they open at like 5:30am (you can take a nap later). Stock up and then have breakfast every morning in your room with some coffee. Excellent! :wink:

Em_Dee:
....By the way, I forgot to mention to everyone; don't forget to visit the Kailua Candy Co. and The French Bakery. Advice on the bakery, get there your first day, early in the morning when they open at like 5:30am (you can take a nap later). Stock up and then have breakfast every morning in your room with some coffee. Excellent! :wink:

Ok, eats'n'treats: There's a nice hole-in-the-wall plate lunch place in the far left corner of Kopiko Mall, connected to and just below the mall that Long's store is located; I'm not sure of the name but it might be "Kona Mix Plate". Sam Choy's runs a nice lunch/dinner place in the big industrial area upslope north of Kailua-Kona; he moved back from Keauhou Hotel. Mrs. Barry's cookies outlet is in the same industrial area; kinda hard to find; all I remember was that it was in the corner of a warehouse, a street or two off the main road. But the jewel is Holy Bakery's pies and shortbread cookies; very hard to find -- occasionally, the Kamuela KTA will have some but the best chance is to go to the "factory" in Kapaau town, just past Hawi on the North Kohala Coast (about a 2hr drive from Kailua-Kona) -- very very difficult to find, even some of the cops up there didn't know where it was. It was tucked behind the large-ish building with the "Good Neighbor Pharmacy" or something like that -- very quaint; if the factory's closed, just walk over to the owner's house next door and knock; watch out for the dogs. Donna's Cookies factory is not far from the Paauilo post office on the Hamakua coast; don't drive fast or you'll whip right by (I think it might be the only 2-story building in the area). Their cookies are good and available everywhere but I prefer Holy's...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom