Advice on new kit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hamlet

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I need some advice; I’m looking to spend around $ 4500 on a set up. I was thinking of the Nikon D70 kit, an Aquatica housing but no idea what to do about lighting, the camera and housing take up the bulk of my available cash. This is my first step into UW photography and to some it may seem like I’m spending way too much for a first timer. I probably am but I have a policy of trying to buy the best equipment I can first time around and that way it lasts, and I don’t have to buy twice. When it comes to the lighting side of things I could push the boat out a bit further and take the budget up another $500 or so. Any advice is welcome even if It's just to call me an *** for taking this route:wink:

Dave.

You will love your D SLR!

Strobes!, The Ike DS 125! one now, a second later! If you already understand photography as in exposure control, you can also use the older nikonos compatible strobes ( Nikonos, Ike, Sea & Sea, etc ) but these will have to be used in manual mode only

I am not familiar with the lens or lenses in the "kit" but usually they tend to be on the low end of Nikons line. Consider getting a D-70 Body and seperate lenses, like the 12-24, and a 60 mm or 105 mm macro. the macro lenses may be available on ebay quite cheap. the 60 will be more useful since aside from its 1:1 macro capability, it works quite well shooting full frame shots of small to medium size subjects

alcina:
Yeah, but that 105 is dreamy :luxhello:

From - someone who has not yet succumbed to the lure of Dslr, but loves to see what they can do!

yes indeed the 105 mm is my lens of choice for super macro!

alcina:
Yeah, but that 105 is dreamy :luxhello:

From - someone who has not yet succumbed to the lure of Dslr, but loves to see what they can do!
Hi! I'm in the same boat as Hamlet. I want to get into U/W photo. but in a smaller
way. I'd like to spend around $600 to $800 all in. Have read some nice things
here about the Oly 5050. Can I get into one of these with the basic equip. for
around this price? Our is there a better place to start? I'm a long term diver but
not into photography so I'd be a complete beginner. Any suggestions? Thanks a
bunch. Winenut.

You can find an Oly 5060 on line for around $450, $200 for the case and $80 for a 512 card at Costco or online and you will be thrilled to death! Extrenal strobe set up will set you back $800-$1000 more the last timne I checked but may have gone down since then. The internal strobe does a pretty good job as is....I saw an 8080 for $550!
I love my 5060 I bought after asking around here and would strongly recomened it to anyone from rookie to moderatly advanced or more.

Dave, if you're putting out the money for the extra quality of DSLR, you have to carry your lighting around. You can't do macro without it, and anything deeper than about 10' you'll need it for wide angle.

The Ike DS 125 is a great choice. Resign yourself to about $850 for strobe, arms, cords and charger. You'll find that price is pretty much the same no matter what the brand. Inon has a loyal following, and is light weight.

The big advantage of a DSLR is the glass you can attach. The kit lens is ok for above water photos, but lacks quite a bit as a true wide angle for u/w use, although it works. The downside is it's another good sized pile of money for a decent wide angle lens.

Anyway, you gotta have at least one strobe.

All the best, James

Back
Top Bottom