Guam Cave photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chris Bangs

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I did this project yesterday! The project goal was to take samples for carbon 14 dating, of turtle remains located in a cave. My job was to photograph the project in progress as well as take shots of the remains. The cave entrance is at a depth of 110 ft at the remains are located in the uppermost chamber at 78 ft.

The cave dive itself was a walk in the park compared to getting to it! After a 11/2 hour boat ride to the infamous north side of Guam ( the washing machine ), In the water we were fighting massive surge and ripping current. In the cave space was quite limited and getting my camera rig in position was a bit difficult. To say the least, this was one of my more challenging photo projects.

Here are a few shots of the cave.

Will post more normal stuff next.

Image by Chris Bangs (Copyright) posted at ScubaGallery

we did run into a 6 ft + nurse shark located at 100 ft in a area protected from the current. Of course I had to stop for a shot or two. Jim decided to tug on its tail which spooked it, This action sent it full speed DIRECTLY at me and I got side swiped. :11:

This resulted in me giving Jim a hand signal not found in any dive manual :wink:

Photo note! on the shark and cave shot. Take notice on how the strobe illumination drops off. Both these shots were taken at 6 to 8 feet with dual 100 degree beam angle strobes. I had no choice due to the size of the subject matter. If I had more time I would have done some bracketing using different strobe power. Jim and the shark would not allow it! hahaha

Remember, closer is better.

I agree about the strobe drop off...wondered about that. Maybe next time you can experiment more. Cave shots are cool! Be sure and let us know the results of the carbon dating.

Not only great pics, but we get a story line with it :) even better. I'm looking forward to the results as well as the what you are expecting by them!

Chris Bangs:
Jim decided to tug on its tail which spooked it, This action sent it full speed DIRECTLY at me and I got side swiped. :11:

That's very naughty!! One should not pull on a shark's tail :11: I know I'd be a bit peeved if I was walking down the street, minding my own business and some random person pulled on me!

Neat adventure...can you tell us more about the project? What will the carbon dating tell?

Thanks for the pics, story, and lesson. The carbon dating thing is interesting - let us know more.

Dee:
I agree about the strobe drop off...wondered about that. Maybe next time you can experiment more. Cave shots are cool! Be sure and let us know the results of the carbon dating.

wish I had more time on the shark! but the current extended our bottom time and increased our air consumption. in the end we were pushing it to the max just to get to the remains! The entire dive was quite rushed to say the least. NOT a DIR dive to say the least!

We are planning another dive to take samples in several depressions that are located at different depths in the cave. these depressions which resemble pools may have been formed when the cave was above sea level. If so, we hope to find out if the turtle(s) ended up there before or after the change in sea level. one thing for sure, they have been there a very long time! May be a while before we get the first results

a future project will be to locate and explore another cave that begins in the ocean then enters fresh water and ends in a cavern in the jungle. I was there years ago, just need to locate the submerged entrance! This cave was above sea level in the past because one chamber has stalactites and stalagmites in it.

Discovery Channel stuff for sure :wink:

Thinking about cave diving gives me the heebie jeebies, but it's very cool to hear about your adventures and the things you are going to learn!

I look forward to lots more photos and adventures :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom