Ascent from Minimum Deco Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charlie99

Contributor
Reaction score
Silicon Valley, CA / New Bedford, MA / Kihei, Maui
# of dives
500 - 999
In another thread it has been posted that the ascent method taught in DIR-F course and supplemental materials is a series of 1 minute stops starting at 80%max ata / 75% max depth , including just 1 minute at 20' and 10'.

OTOH, the Minimum Deco Tables at www.dir-diver.com use (for all depths and times) a standard set of stops of
1 minute at 40'
1 minute at 30
3 minute at 20'
3 minute at 10'

The same GUE-trained individual that posted the linear ascent method also says that the dir-diver tables are not considered the DIR approach to minimum deco.

It appears to me that the series of 1 minute stops at all depths is an approximation of a 10fpm linear ascent, while the dir-diver.com stops are more in line with an efficient "shape of deco" ascent.

What really is being taught in DIR-F for the optimum ascent profile?

Do different instructors teach different methods?

What is the concensus as the better ascent profile?

My DIRF class taught 1 min at each of 30', 20', and 10'. It also stressed the importance of a slow controlled ascent, especially for the last 10 feet.

I'm sure this thread is going to be another "hot topic". However, may I suggest you PM any one of the GUE instructors who tends to hang out here that way you get the straight answer you seek. Sometimes one can look so hard for that "one correct answer" that they can miss the forest throught the trees...and that is why I would recommend PMing one of the instructors.

I'm all for going straight to the source, but I know what I learned in my DIRF class and would be eager to hear if anyone had any markedly different experiences.

What I posted was what I was taught. There is some other profile being discussed taught over on the FifthDx Yahoo Group which AG talked about that I'd never heard before....I believe it is a profile taught in Tech 1. I have always seen that Tech 1 minimum deco profiles and DIRF min deco profiles do not seem to line up.

The dir-diver tables say (C) Peter Steinhoff, Sweden, 2003. Last I knew, GUE copyrights their own stuff.

If you want to know the real answer, email one or many of the GUE instructors. There are several here, and all the email addresses are available on GUEs site under "instructor database."

There is an interesting discussion on the FifthD-X yahoo group regarding this topic. Mike Kane has provided some good information that is very different from what I was taught in either of my DIRF classes (one with him, interestingly enough).

Charlie99:
In another thread it has been posted that the ascent method taught in DIR-F course and supplemental materials is a series of 1 minute stops starting at 80%max ata / 75% max depth , including just 1 minute at 20' and 10'.

I was taught to use either:
a) 80% max ATA rounded to shallower depth
b) 70% max depth rounded to deeper depth

From Michael Kane:

Rather then introduce certain concepts at the Fundamental level,
specifically 80% of ATA's, we recommend for an otherwise recreational
profile, to start the deep stops at 50' from the max. depth. In other
words, if you did a 120' dive, start the deep stops at 70'. Then do 30
second stops, with 30 second moves until you start your "safety" stops. In
lieu of the industry standard of 3 minutes at 15', we recommend doing an
additional minute at 30', then a minute at 20' and then a minute at 10'.

So to summarize, you do 30 FPM ascent rates, you start your deep stops at
50' off the max. depth, continue "deep stops" at 30 second stop- 30 second
move intervals until you get to 30'. Then do 1 minute at 30', 1 minute at
20' and 1 minute at 10'.

Bear in mind, this ascent rate strategy applies to no mandatory
decompression diving within otherwise defined recreational limits. If you
plan of progressing to deeper then "recreational" limits and/or doing
mandatory decompression diving, this strategy is inapplicable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom