Is Oly 5050 obsolete?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

meisburger

Reaction score
I used to have a Sea and Sea MX-10, but it dissapeared a few years ago (but I still have the strobe!). Then I bought a used Nikonos V that flooded first time out. My life is hard.

Now I have decided to get a digital camera and after doing some research settled on the Oly 5050. Before a recent trip to Bali I looked all around town (Jakarta), but everyone said the model was discontinued (although I did find the housing). Most offered me the 5060, but I have read on this board that it is not as good a camera, and that the Oly housing (PT-20) is not as good as the earlier housing. Plus, its more expensive.

So, is the Oly old technology. I will be in the US over Christmas, where I should have a better selection to choose from. Should I go for a more modern camera like the Canon A95? Are there other alternatives? How about the Sonys? I know this subject has been covered a lot, but technology marches on, and the best alternative last year (or week) may not be the best today.

The 5050 has been discontinued but there are still cameras out there, especially refurbished units. The 5060 is different and has a different housing. I think the people who have a 5060 like it; I know most of the ppl with the 5050 love it.

The Canon A series (and S series but I have never used these) are wonderful. Love 'em and have two older models. Wouldn't hesistate to get another...

You might like to check out the Fuji F810 - it's turning out to be a great camera, though a little higher priced than the Canon range. Available in Asia now and expected to be released in the US eventually. I think in Singapore it's about $850 Singapore dollars without the housing.

If you go to my web page, I have a link to some resources for photographers. One of those resources is a comparison of the 5050 and 5060 for u/w use. The report gives a very good analysis of the two cameras. I have the 5050 and love it. Several people I know, have the 5060 and love it. The Fuji 810 is getting very good reviews. The only trouble I see with it is that at this time, the housing choices are limited. I have the Ikelite housing for my Oly and love it as well but there are numerous choices to house the Oly and numberous strobe options. I have seen a couple of the Canons that looked very good to me, I just don't have much first hand knowledge about them.

All of the cameras mentioned are good cameras. Have fun.

SwimsWithSharks:
The Fuji 810 is getting very good reviews. The only trouble I see with it is that at this time, the housing choices are limited.

Two other downsides to the Fuji that I read about tonight are that there is no RAW and a lack of a hotshoe for the strobe. You may not think you need RAW but I bet after awhile you will want to at least try it.

There is a thread over on DigitalDiver.net in the Cameras section about a newbie interested in going digital. It might be a good read for you.

Lack of RAW is a good point...the Canon A95 doesn't have it either. I wouldn't buy a new camera for myself without that capability. Note: Fuji 810 does have RAW, but as yet there is no plug in for it.

Would still buy the Canon A95 to use with clients & students.

alcina:
Lack of RAW is a good point...the Canon A95 doesn't have it either. I wouldn't buy a new camera for myself without that capability.

Would still buy the Canon A95 to use with clients & students.

Thanks for all the advise guys. If you re-set the white balance frequently do you really need RAW? Can't you tell whether or not your pictures are correctly exposed while you are underwater by looking at the monitor?

You could probably do it that way (I haven't tried so I can't say for sure). The problem is that you will be spending a lot of time dinking (technical term) around with your camera rather than taking pictures. I have seen some examples of shots taken in RAW that I would have tossed in the trashcan right way if it were a jpeg but the photographers were able to change exposure on and come out with great photos.

What really consistutes "obsolete"? I have a five year old car that is no longer made - does the fact that it gets 2 less miles per gallon of gas (or 1 megapixel more if you get my drift) make it so?

I have seen people with $10 throw-away cameras take better pictures than someone with no training or talent takes with a $1500 digital. Buy a cheap digital and use the balance of the cash to take a night photo class at your local community college.

I went back to the thread on digitaldiver.net this morning and it appears that the post I read that said there was no RAW was incorrect. Apparently, it does have RAW but there is no plug-in for Adobe as of this time. Sorry for the error.

The Fuji Finepix F810 does have RAW capture. You will be limited to using slave strobes, like most of the people on this board do. Fuji's housing is supposed to be very good and it is compatible with the Inon/Eqoque lenses. Resolution is great and according to Dr Bob on digitaldiver.net, shutter lag is virtually instant.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom