tAKA DIVE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slipslop

Reaction score
i am hoping to do a trip on TAKA dives new boat "TAKA" in March 2005 to Cod hole & Osprey reef, has anyone been on this 5 DAY trip? is it suitable for a newly qualified open water diver. any advice or some comments would be appreciated please. I want to do part of my adventure dive course on this trip.

It is perfectly suitable - when i did the trip there were several very inexperienced divers on the boat, and they did buoyancy checks and helped them get comfortable on the first dive, offered the PADI advanced course on board, and you could dive with a DM if you wanted to. The diving is generally easy in that visibility is good, we did not experience any strong currents and navigation was very straightforward on most of the sites. Just watch your air and depth - some of them had quite steep drop offs, and it would be easy to be at 30m on the sand and chewing through your tank if you are not careful.

Yep was on the 5 day out to Osprey three weeks ago.
Overall not bad, its no Mike Ball, but you get what you pay for. The diving was enjoyable, Guess I am spoilt after many trips to PNG or the Solomon’s however the Shark feed and Cod hole are lots of fun. The accommodation is ok. The double rooms are nice with ensuite and DVD/TV in each room. Staff are competent and ran the dives well. The boat is a little wobbly in the 35knot winds we has whilst outside the reef, but much better than the old Taka. Take your sea sickness tabs just in case.

The dives are good for new divers, they will do a checkout dive with you on your first dive, and you can have a a DM or instructor on your dives if you wish. It is actually a really good set-up if you wish to do your Adv course whilst on the boat.

If you are going for the diving then it’s a great boat.
Here are some photos I took while on the trip
http://homepage.mac.com/myprism/galleries/cairns/cairns.html

Cheers
Chris

I am planning on taking the Taka trip in January. I took Spirit of Freedom last time and it was amazing, but we only did the Ribbon Reefs and Cod Hole, I hear the Coral Sea is the best diving in the area. Taka is one of the best budget options for live-aboards going to the Northern GBR and Coral Sea. If you book it when you get there and not ahead of time, you'll save a lot of $. The same trip that was $1,050 AUD online was $550 AUD when you book it at the store. But then of course you have to take the chance of it being booked. If you have a lot of time, then I suggest booking when you get there, if not, you can take the chance or book ahead. Have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom