Where to Dive Lauderdale -or- Keys in Dec???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonFrank

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are planning a FL trip sometime in the first couple weeks of December.

I have a cousin in Ft. Pierce, and she indicated that diving in that area (Vero) is not good now due to 1) closed beaches 2) Dive Boats and operators are still trying to recover.

So I'm trying to decide if I should go the Key Largo, or if the Lauderdale area would work??

I'll be with my wife and son (both non divers).

One concern I have is what they can do if we head to Key Largo? I'd do at least two 1/2 days of diving... maybe three. They may snorkel for part of one day. They love the beach, but I remember the keys as not really having much of a beach in most places (been a while since I've seen the Keys).

Any suggestions, or reports on what diving is likely to be like in either the Key Largo area, or off the mainland around Lauderdale is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Ron

I think the Pompano/Deerfield Beach area dives from a boat are much better than any I've had in Key Largo thus far. Beach dives in the Pompano and Lauderdale by the Sea area is great to.

Largo is cool but sooo over rated.

I had very luck with ScubaTyme out of Pampano - each 2 tank boat dive started w/ a great wreck, followed by a 40 to 50 ft reef dive. 'Was I think $45 per time (2 yrs ago).

... probably the best operation I've found in SE Florida.
They're very accomodating and friendly, you get a snack (fruit, crackers and soft drinks) after every dive and the dive variety is excellent. they also have a frequent diver card that gives you a free dive after 10.

In Pompano/Ft. Lauderdale there are basically three paralell reefs, paralell to the coast, each one a little deeper than the one before and probably 30 good wrecks as well. The drift dives in the winter are really awesome! Nice current to carry you without any effort.

My son and I dove with them two weeks ago, when we did two reefs (70' and 50'). Lot's of life, beautiful and healthy corals. My son took his speargun and brought dinner home (40" black groupper).
In december the water temp is still in the 70s.

But if you decide that the Keys are you're choice, you can't go wrong either. The reef dives in the Keys are relatively shallow, and have abundant life. Water visibility is decent (40-80'). Off Key Largo you can do some deeper (130') wrecks as well.

I also like diving at Biscayne National Park. The Park itself has a dive operation there with great boats (very wide and dry pontoon-type boats with two side ladders. They have really nice shallow (20-40') reefs and on sundays they do the "Wall" which is also anice dive (105' at the bottom) for AOW only. Since it is within the protected Park boundaries there are plenty of lobsters, turtles, rays, 'cudas, reef sharks, etc, etc. I had never seen as many trumpet fish as I saw in September! Probably over 50 in a 65" dive. Some were 36" long.

Once the time comes around let me know and maybe, if I'm free, we can dive together.

Happy Diving,
Pedro

ppbon:
[Scubatyme & Capt. Gary are]... probably the best operation I've found in SE Florida.
Not in my experience. I've been with them for at least a half dozen dives and have seen a lot of negativity and rushing divers - especially students. Just about anybody else out of Pompano is great.

Try calling Lighthouse Dive Center in Pompano. They place divers on several local operators but FOR SOME REASON THEY WILL NEVER PLACE YOU ON SCUBATYME EVEN THOUGH THEY'RE RIGHT NEXT DOOR. I wonder why...

Lighthouse is at (954) 788-0208 and their web site is http://www.lighthousedive.com/

The Aquazoo is right next door (South Florida Divers) and they're a blast.

OTOH, if I had a choice between Pompano or Key Largo, I'd take the Keys in a heartbeat!

RonFrank:

One concern I have is what they can do if we head to Key Largo? I'd do at least two 1/2 days of diving... maybe three. They may snorkel for part of one day. They love the beach, but I remember the keys as not really having much of a beach in most places (been a while since I've seen the Keys).

I think the others have covered the east coast- as for Key Largo if you are stil lconsidering that, although there is not a "beach" to speak, you can always go to one of the resorts on the bay that have beach areas. I know there are a few- one of which is the Westin- they have a little beachy area on the bay- so that might work. Also in the upper keys there's the dolphin encounter/swim thing if they are into that

http://www.dolphinsplus.com/

and there are nearby things to do on the water- paddle boats, canoeing etc.

It really depends on what your family would like to do while you dive, or what you might like to do with them when you're not diving. As far as diving is concerned, both Ft. Laud and Key Largo are about the same, with a slight advantage to Key Largo. But OTOH, for after diving, or non diving activities, Ft. Laud needs to be your choice. You can either relax, or have a blast, and there is always more places to pick if you want to do something special (go to the theater or to the movies).

I second Mike's take on scubatyme. IMHO, the two best dive operators in the Ft. Laud area are American Dream II (Capt. Todd), and ProDive. In Pompano, S FL diving Hq is a good time. I could careless for their flat top, cattle boats, but Capt. Dave and DM Bryan really put on a show that make up for the crowded boat; they're really cool guys and get people to laugh. Also, Parrot Island Scuba is another good choice in pompano.

And since you will need gas to dive, there's no better place for fills than Fill Express. Check out www.fillexpress.com. They also have a good list of boats and operators in their site.

Good luck!!

I have to chime in and third it on scubatyme...... I had a blast with Parrot Island Scuba. Also, there's some great shore diving around there also. I love Key Largo, but CBulla is right, it is a bit over rated. Mostly shallow dives (with the exception of the deep wrecks) but still nice.

As for this area (Port St Lucie, Ft Pierce) Most of our beaches are STILL closed down, the ones open have proven to be less than favorble with viz not existing.

RonFrank:

I have a cousin in Ft. Pierce, and she indicated that diving in that area (Vero) is not good now due to 1) closed beaches 2) Dive Boats and operators are still trying to recover.

So I'm trying to decide if I should go the Key Largo, or if the Lauderdale area would work??

Any suggestions, or reports on what diving is likely to be like in either the Key Largo area, or off the mainland around Lauderdale is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Ron
South Florida Dive HQ in Pomano Beach 4 mile North of Ft Laud. is a great place to dive with. Capt Dave is a trip. The reefs and wreck are some of the best and the beach dive are awsome also. Key Largo is fine and I would try Capt Slates or Taviner Dive Center. I have had a great time with both of them.

Others have responded from a diving perspective, so I won't address that. If your wife and kids idea of fun is hanging out in a mall, or taking in a movie, there are centainly better choices than Key Largo. On the the other hand, if they're into the outdoors, Key Largo has a lot to offer. There are not big, mega beaches in Key Largo, but there are small ones. Your family could spend a day at Pennekamp State Park, which has a beach (they also have snokeling and diving). In addition they have glass bottom boats, kayaks for rent to go paddling in the mangroves, and powered boats to go fishing. While you're diving, your family can rent bicycles and tootle around. Other things that come to mind they might do: swim with the dolphins program, kiteboarding, jet skiing. There's the Everglades, where the season is just beginning as the bug situation is now tolerable. I could go on, but that's enough to get the ideas flowing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom