Guam dive sites - Blue Hole

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chris Bangs

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Here are some shots from Guam's most popular dive site! The Blue Hole! I enjoyed Gilligan's visit so much, I decided that I will try to post shots that focus more on the site itself than close up shots of the critters. Hopefully I can lure a few more of you out here :wink:

In the future I will be make a DVD based dive site guide for Guam. This will include both the wide angle site shots as well as the close up stuff.

Anyway info on the Blue Hole

It is located about 100 ft, ( 30 meters ) off the west coast of Guam in and area know as Orote Peninsula. No beach entry here as the shore line is a 150 ft + sheer cliff comprised of uplifted coral. The Hole entrance is on a shelf at about 60 ft ( 18 m ) along a drop off that plummets vertically to over 300 ft .The hole is more of a chimney and opens up in what we call the “window” at about 125 ft along the wall face. The vis on this site can exceed 200 ft vertically! And the water temp is a constant 82 degrees F ( 28 C ) all the way down past 200 ft. There are NO thermoclines on Guam!

Anyway here are a few shots

One from the top, another from inside using some divers hamming it up to give perspective of size, and a third taken from 200 ft showing the beautiful sea fans that are almost forest like down there. The upper level is quite bare due to the swells generated from Typhoons.

Image by Chris Bangs (Copyright) posted at ScubaGallery

Very nice, Chris! What's the depth of the opening?

Dee:
Very nice, Chris! What's the depth of the opening?

the top of the shelf where the hole is located is between 50 and 60 feet , it slopes down a bit then drops off vertically, well actually the wall is an over hang where the hole is located. the hole opens up at 125, but the inner shaft wall continues to about 200 ft then stair steps down to 272 ft in the sand and continues to descend to God knows where!

here is a shot that shows both the hole and the wall. I shot this about 6 years ago!

don't even ask how deep I had to go to get it! If I could only remember what I did to get the shot!

may be grainy, sorry! I yanked the image out of a old presentation I made.

Look forward to seeing some of you So cal folks in Dec!

Another fine cyberdive logged :D.

Those are really beautiful shots. thanks

SeaYoda:
Another fine cyberdive logged :D.

Exactly!

ya talked me into digging up another. this one was shot about 100 yards north of the hole. again VERY deep.

Back
Top Bottom