Visiting this weekend - dive info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Outlaw14

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

Will be in Ft. Lauderdale this weekend diving. Can anyone tell me what recent conditions have been like? Also, will I need a hood? Was hoping the water was still relatively warm, have a 3-5-3 suit. Trying to finish AOW class with deeper dives so may try the Mercedes. What else is good, my first time here. I had heard good things about the Sea Emperor but I believe that may be out of range for the dive operators out of Ft. Lauderdale (we are diving with Brownies). Or is it closer than I think?

Thanks for any suggestions on what to watch out for under the sea!

Lauren

So sorry amiga, but the conditions aren't very kind right now. Water is relatively warm (78-80 degrees) but the seas were 7-9' today, and the wind is still blowing strong. Maybe by midday you'll catch a break, but be prepared for a day of classroom work if they'll do that. There's always O2 and CPR...

Looks like a good day to travel 3-4 hours north and do some springs dives.

MB:
So sorry amiga, but the conditions aren't very kind right now. Water is relatively warm (78-80 degrees) but the seas were 7-9' today, and the wind is still blowing strong. Maybe by midday you'll catch a break, but be prepared for a day of classroom work if they'll do that. There's always O2 and CPR...

Looks like a good day to travel 3-4 hours north and do some springs dives.
Thanks for the disappointing news.

If we ignore the weather for the moment, what do you think of the wrecks, the Tracy and the Mercedes? At present this seems to be where we are headed, one on Saturday one on Sunday.

Is the Sea Emperor out of range for operators out of Ft. Lauderdale? Heard that was a good wreck with lots of life.

Thanks.

Lauren

Outlaw14:
Thanks for the disappointing news.

If we ignore the weather for the moment, what do you think of the wrecks, the Tracy and the Mercedes? At present this seems to be where we are headed, one on Saturday one on Sunday.

Is the Sea Emperor out of range for operators out of Ft. Lauderdale? Heard that was a good wreck with lots of life.

Thanks.

Lauren

Mercedes is an excellent choice for an advanced class. The combination of depth and the wreck structure gives you an opportunity to learn a lot. The Tracy is also a good dive, but not as complex. But like most dives if there are actually learning objectives attached to your dives, then this could be a good AOW dive as well. Its certainly a fun wreck.

I'm not sure if the Sea Emperor is out of range for Brownies. Its a bit of a ride, but many operators will do that, especially if the seas are flat. And they are most likely to do that on a weekday if they have to run a farther distance, otherwise they pick spots closer to their docks so they can get in two trips and still get home in time for dinner. It is a neat wreck, and located next to some culverts. For years this was a feeding site, and it still attracts large rays and the occaisional Jewfish. And all in less than 75' of water...

Cheers

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom