Controversial Exp. with MDA, Guam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JeffDiver

Reaction score
I have seen some frequent recommenders at this section frequently recommend MDA, I believe I should tell my controversial experience.

First, I want to strongly and sincerely recommend GTDS (Guam Tropical Diving Station). After you finish reading my story, you will see why I recommend GTDS.

I had worked on Guam from 1997 to 2000.

During those years on Guam, I started scuba diving at my spare time. However, the diving instructor, who was a very close associate with MDA’s main contact person, frequently tried to talk me into utilizing the power of my job to crack down on his/their competitors in the diving field. I tried to separate my job from diving leisure and paid for each diving accordingly plus a tip, but he just kept making it a major subject or an influence to my diving events.

I also encountered another person in MDA, who seemed to be very much involved in political opinion about the situation on Guam.

In 2003, I returned to Guam for a personal vacation and contacted my dive instructor/master via email. The first thing that he mentioned was the same subject, so I dropped that “friendship” and wanted no more. However, when I got to MDA after that, I received unfriendly treatment from his friend who was the main contact person and has big webpage on the internet. At the counter downstairs of that main contact person, I was trying to sign up with MDA’s boat diving but was told that everything with future four weeks had been sold out, nothing for me at all. When I was reading their boat diving schedule list that was placed on their counter, it was pulled away from the middle of my reading without any “excuse” or so.

I will never want to go back to MDA or search any service from them anymore, and I believe divers don’t want to spend vacations in MDA’s serious and stressful atmosphere.

GTDS opened big arms to me without any prejudice, without pressure me to mix any job and diving pleasure. I still remember its owner’s name, Wayne, (please correct me if I am wrong), was very nice and professional. My expensive regulator started leaking air, he fixed for me right there with smile, made me feel so relaxed. One of his workers, Chris, said that Wayne stated a rule telling his workers just to provide information and service, but never push any sale or give pressures to customers. Its price is reasonable and schedule is flexible. It’s really relaxed. I received privilege and respect from GTDS as an ordinary person. I am truly happy with GTDS and strongly recommend GTDS.

I have always liked GTDS better, but most people seem to like MDA better. Wayne and Paula are friendly Aussies, I never had any problem with GTDS.

What exactly do you mean by politics? Your post is a little vague.

Wayne is the repair tech, John and Paula Bent are the owners. GTDS is a very friendly laid back operation. I have been associated with them for years, one as the manager. I also managed MDA as well. My whale shots ar still on the MDA site.

Now back at GTDS!

nuff said

I have only been diving a short while and have somewhat noticed what you are talking about. Although friendly, I feel that I am being stalked every time I walk in there and must purchase something. Now that I have most of my gear (Thanks Ebay :wink: ), and bought my own boat :wink: , I don't have to worry about pissing the wrong people off :crafty: Sorry your experience was so bad.

Jason

I'm replying to this because this posting popped up on the first page of a Google search about MDA.

Whatever the situation was back in '04, it's not the case now.

First, MDA has been under new ownership for less than two years. My first experience with them came one year ago. I also dove with Guam Tropical Divers. Unlike the reports here, my experiences in '08 and this month have been nothing but positive. I never feel pressured to buy anything, staff are very helpful and pleasant and the dives are well run.

I highly recommend MDA.

Update

John and Paula departed Guam over a year ago,and GTDS is now operated my a Japanese investor. The focus now seems to be almost all on the Japanese tourist market.

Going forward, I am in charge of the retail operations at MDA, and I guarantee that our customers are not being pressured into buying anything.

Chris Bangs
Director, Wholesale and Retail Operations
Instructor Coordinator
Photo Pro
Micronesian Divers Assn, Inc.

For the last 5 years I've been going to Guam every 2 months on business and always use MDA for my boat dives. Chris, Dianne, and Jim are great crew. Very laid back. Only gripe is they wont let me pay for my dives in fish.

When I was in Guam back in January I renewed my Five Star membership at MDA. I didn't renew my GTDS membership.

And let me support Chris's statement that there is NO pressure at MDA -- just lots of help.

Carl

Jeffdiver's post raised a few pertinent questions before ANYONE can believe a word of what was stated:

1. Why so vague about the job Jeffdiver holds that can influence politics in the diving realm? If MDA had pressured this individual so much that contact was cut after a "second attempt", then I think it is rather important to state what job this individual holds that has so much influence.

2. Why did Jeffdiver not state who the Master Diver was that put so much pressure to exert the influence Jeffdiver supposedly had? Also Jeffdiver stated that there is a main contact person...who is this individual? Why so unwilling to state who they are? Especially when Jeffdiver seems so concerned with letting the SCUBA diving world know just how bad MDA treats its customers. I know in this type of situation, I would ensure that specific instances were cited as well as which individuals treated me so poorly. Jeffdiver obviously knew who these individuals were; as stated by the recontact conducted with the unnamed Master Diver and the use of some so called main contact, yet these individuals remain mysteriously unnamed...

Jeffdiver stated that the job Jeffdiver has offers some ability to influence the diving community. It seems hard to believe, again when this blog is articulated so poorly. Therefore, I must assume that Jeffdiver is either an employee of GTDS and is attempting to discredit MDA, or is an individual that got bored and just wanted to make up the whole story.

I've just started SCUBA diving on Guam; my wife and I talked to both GTDS and MDA. GTDS just gave us the impression that they didn't have time to certify us; however, MDA "opened big arms without any prejudice..." This guy is going to stick with MDA.

I'm kind of curious why people are responding to comments regarding a post that is over 3 years old?

Regards,

Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom