Keys advise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

junkyard_dawg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hello, been awhile since I have been on the board. Trying to get back into the swing of diving again, and I have a trip lined up for next week to the Keys. Tavernier is where I am staying. I need to know if there are any MUST dive sites. I've never been to the keys so any help would be appreciated. I know I'm going to dive the Spiegel everything else is up for grabs. Also what can I expect for water temps next week? Thanks in advance.

I wil let the resident conch's give you the water temps.
Spiegel is good as are the Duane and Bibb- I personally like the nice mellow and shallow benwood.
all the reef dives are usually good too is the vis is playing ball.
check the upcoming trip reports- there is currently a SB's singles dive trip in keys so I am sure they will post their experiences.
Enjoy!

Tavernier's pretty north, but if you can, sneak in a trip to Looe Key, a very pretty bank barrier reef and one of the two original marine sanctuary sites. Charter boats typically leave out of Big Pine Key. I recommend Underseas and their boat, Pegasus.

scubagruba:
Hello, been awhile since I have been on the board. Trying to get back into the swing of diving again, and I have a trip lined up for next week to the Keys. Tavernier is where I am staying. I need to know if there are any MUST dive sites. I've never been to the keys so any help would be appreciated. I know I'm going to dive the Spiegel everything else is up for grabs. Also what can I expect for water temps next week? Thanks in advance.
I'll second the nomination of the USCG Cutter Duane... seventeen years on the edge of the Gulfstream have have turned her into an awesome artificial reef! Drift diving along Conch Wall or Molasses Drop-off is also high on the list. For shallow water diving, Molasses Reef and Snapper Ledge are hard to beat. Water temps are currently hovering around eighty degrees. Enjoy!

Thanks for the info, I've been working my tail off and I am REALLY looking forward to this mini vacation. I've been wanting to try the Duane or Bibb as well, so I'll probably look into these.

KeyLargoBrent:
I'll second the nomination of the USCG Cutter Duane... seventeen years on the edge of the Gulfstream have have turned her into an awesome artificial reef! Drift diving along Conch Wall or Molasses Drop-off is also high on the list. For shallow water diving, Molasses Reef and Snapper Ledge are hard to beat. Water temps are currently hovering around eighty degrees. Enjoy!

I'll second KeyLargoBrent. Molasses reef is no doubt my fav reef in the Key Largo area/ Taviner, I just came back from there 2 weeks ago, and going back in 2-3 weeks agian, My fav is the USCG Cutter Duane, I love that ship, if you do a night dive definatley do it on Molasses, it's awsome !!! I dove that reef every night with the Benwood we were there. Back side of Molasses is alos nice for a deeper reef, never dove Snapper's, but it's on my list next month when we go down!!

scubagruba:
Thanks for the info, I've been working my tail off and I am REALLY looking forward to this mini vacation. I've been wanting to try the Duane or Bibb as well, so I'll probably look into these.

You may want to Stay at Ocean Point Suite's, in Taviner, nice place, condo style living, and they have a full kitchen, and washer/dryer, plus more, nice place, and try looking up The Westin, in Key Largo, resort style living, also nice, enjoy your trip!!

PS, Bring a under water camera, even if it's a disposable, some great picture taking in the Key's !!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom