Looking for Divers in the Destin Area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stone

Contributor
Reaction score
We live in Valparaiso, FL and dive out of Destin,
Although we have many dive buddies, it is not always possible to find two extra divers to go out with us.

Post here if you have a general question, or if you are in the Destin area and need a ride, send me a PM or an email. I don't charter, so we're only talking gas money. Also, most of the dives we do are not for beginners.

Here are a few details:

We generally dive between 80 and 135 ft, so Nitrox is the gas of choice. A typical trip is 3 tanks. The first two dives are in the 110 - 135 ft range, and the last dive is usually 80 - 90 ft. We spearfish on every trip. We go to wrecks that charters don't visit because charters need to make 2 or 3 round trips a day. Our trips are routinely 6 - 8 hours. We depart from the Lighthouse Key Marina in Niceville.

The boat is a solid 25' Chris Craft. I carry plenty of 02 (Dan “D” tank and an AL 80). I always put out a 100’ tag line and a granny line. The granny line has a hang tank attached at 25 ft. I probably have double the safety gear required by the Coast Guard. There is an enclosed head and plenty of dry storage in the cabin (which I heat when it is cold enough). There is also fresh water in the cabin and a fresh water hose in the stern. Entry and exit is from a dive platform that is less than a foot from the water.

There are pictures of my boat here: http://www.magnificentrelief.com/boat.htm

I'm about 2 hours away and dive the area frequently, not lookin to board any boats soon for financial reasons, but in a few weeks... keep us posted on dates :)

Cool, I may shoot you a line whenever I'm ready for a cheap boat dive :D

I'm not a nitrox guy yet, but I might join you for a five minute dip in the pond :D. How much does gas run per person?

Yeah... No nitrox here yet either... Pick the right day to come and I'll still see alot while hovering 10-20' above the bottom :D Give me a few extra minutes that way.

Because we like to dive offshore, most of our dive trips will run $50. One of our favorite areas is "wreck alley". This includes the Deborah, Angelina, Belize Queen, Odyssey, and Mohawk Chief. The Mohawk, Deborah, and Angelina sit at about 130 ft, but they are nice upright wrecks so you don't have to dive all the way to the sand. The Belize Queen and Odyssey sit at about 110 ft.

For these depths, Nitrox is the way to go. At 110 fsw, EAN32 gives us about 10 minutes more bottom time. We usually dive EAN30 on the 130 fsw wrecks which gives us 5 or 6 more minutes.

SeaYoda:
I'm not a nitrox guy yet, but I might join you for a five minute dip in the pond :D. How much does gas run per person?

You guys acknowledge an offseason? or do you dive all winter long? :D

SuPrBuGmAn:
You guys acknowledge an offseason? or do you dive all winter long? :D

What's an off-season?

Occasionally, We have to knock the icicles off the hardtop and de-ice the deck.

I don't think we would be in a hurry to dive if the temps were going to be freezing all day, but as you know, it's not unusual to get an overnight freeze then hit 50F or 60F by the afternoon. I've never seen the water temp get below 53F.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom