Some naughty person(s)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I sort of hope they "naughty ones" don't return AND then get caught and have the book thrown at them!

It's this kind of action that I'm so against:upset:

:(

"take only pictures, leave only bubbles"
unless it's a deteriorating wreck like the Andrea Doria, where if you don't take it nobodys ever going to see it anyway.

I'm just curious.
How many of you planned on Diving to 230' to see this stuff?:wink:

I would have liked to have seen the artifacts close up u/w. I think AUE- Mike saw them before they were gone. He might even have an idea who took them:)....any comments mike?:)
Ken

Not that I support relieving any wrecks of historical significance of their "trophies"but........just how long do you think that stuff was down there?How long was it going to last?Was the wreck historically important?The real issue is that the wreck was in what I believe to a state or national prk.Bad juju for those parties responsible.The state ,if it is really interested in the preservation of historic artifacts should've gotten them out sooner.The process of decay from saltwater,stormsurge,fishing line.trawlers and time just ca't be imagined down here unless you dive some 50 yr old+ wrecks and find a rusting ,collapsing bucket of rust thats spread all over the site by the above factors.Now,I am pissed that I'll never get to see the stuff ,but I ask you "Is the Atocha any less significant than this old Canadian ship or is the governments cut enough to offset any historical damage?"

Do you think whomever took these items knew it was illegal?
230ft seems very deep for someone not very knowledgable?
Hope the guilt gets to these people.

As far as salvage on other ships, I can and have argued both sides. @ this point I have only picked up a little sand and a few shell from the ocean floor.

How many people would have seen this stuff anyway? I would have appreciated seeing it, but the wreck diver who trained me had a saying,"To the victor go the spoils." It wasn't very original, but she spurred research to find a lot of new wrecks.

The original posted link is dead. I'm betting though, that this is about the Queen of Nassau.

Assuming I'm right, the person that has the artifacts really should turn them in and let them be publically displayed. I can probably work you out an amnesty for you if you do so, or at least I can work it out so nobody knows who turned them in.

Contact me if you're interested. If you get popped, you're in deep doo-doo. If you don't I guess you have some cool stuff that you can't ever show anyone. Is it worth it?

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom