Apeks ATX200 Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UWSojourner

Contributor
Reaction score
I have an Apeks ATX200. I recall (but now can't find) threads about difficulties with DIR/ATX200 ... possibly routing and hose size? (If it helps, I dive drysuit, singles with Oxycheq wing)

Anyway, would like this info as I do F couse in Jan. I'd like to try the hose config before the class.

Thanks.

UWSojourner:
I have an Apeks ATX200. I recall (but now can't find) threads about difficulties with DIR/ATX200 ... possibly routing and hose size? (If it helps, I dive drysuit, singles with Oxycheq wing)

Anyway, would like this info as I do F couse in Jan. I'd like to try the hose config before the class.

Thanks.

The potential problem lies in the size of the port on the first stage that the primary second stage connects to. On all Apeks ATX50 through Black Pearl, the port for the primary second stage is not the standard 3/8". So to put a standard 7' hose would require a fitting that allows the 3/8" male hose end to fit into the larger port on the first stage. This is obiviously a potential failure point. What I did is to plug the port for the primary and put my primary 7' on the port for the octo. My octo is now on the port for the primary. This is when I dive single tanks. For doubles, the each second stage goes into the standard 3/8" port on the first stages. You shouldn't have problems with hose routing.

Duane

Thanks for the info.

Q: Is a 7' hose not available for the 1/2" port? Or is it just not allowed in DIR?

jhnsndn:
The potential problem lies in the size of the port on the first stage that the primary second stage connects to. On all Apeks ATX50 through Black Pearl, the port for the primary second stage is not the standard 3/8". So to put a standard 7' hose would require a fitting that allows the 3/8" male hose end to fit into the larger port on the first stage. This is obiviously a potential failure point. What I did is to plug the port for the primary and put my primary 7' on the port for the octo. My octo is now on the port for the primary. This is when I dive single tanks. For doubles, the each second stage goes into the standard 3/8" port on the first stages. You shouldn't have problems with hose routing.

Duane

Seriously, there's enough places now supplying 24", 5' and 7' hoses in 1/2" fitting that it should no longer be an issue. As lal7176 said, for single tanks, you want your backup hose (22-24") on the 1/2" port, 7' on a 3/8" port.

Just curious, why wouldn't you want to use a 1/2" long hose on the appropriate port?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

jhnsndn:
What I did is to plug the port for the primary and put my primary 7' on the port for the octo. My octo is now on the port for the primary.

What do you lose by doing this? Or, to put it another way, why does the primary ordinarily have a 1/2" connection?

pete340:
What do you lose by doing this? Or, to put it another way, why does the primary ordinarily have a 1/2" connection?

If I remember right the 1/2 port was designed to be able to deliver more air than a standard hose/port setup. It seems to be a fix for a non existant problem.

pete340:

It's a matter of how cleanly you want your hoses to route.

When oriented with the 1/2 inch port on the right side, it's positioned behind the standard LP port, which means if you install your necklace on it, and put your primary SS on the standard port, your hoses will cross (since your necklace routes forward and your primary routes downward to tuck underneath your canister).

It's really not much of a concern ... I just found it easier (since I'd have to buy one anyway) to purchase a 1/2 inch 7-foot hose and route the hoses so they wouldn't have to cross each other.

BTW - I don't use the ATX200 (I use DS4's and DST's), but this consideration is the same for most Apeks models.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom