Fiji travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigbadwolfe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Having read the latest on the blog regarding Fiji diving I have a few questions. I am new to diving but not new to traveling in the SP. Is it worth taking a lightweight BCD with you? I currently have a sequest balance but that weighs about seven pounds. If so recomendations are welcome. I understand that on the flights from Nadi to Taveuni you are limited to 20kg. However, I read on one sight that if you have a letter from your resort stating that you are on a dive trip they will up it to 30kg - is this true? Last but not least of the questions has anybody been to Matangi Island Resort? Will be heading there this Jan.

Matagi is wonderful... beautiful, quiet, awesome food and though we didn't dive with them the dive op looked good and the area they dive is super.

Perhaps it is because our group was traveling from the US but we didn't have a 20kg weight restriction. Call ahead and ask.

BTW... welcome to Scuba Board.

Moved from the Introductions & Greets forum.

Weight is limited on the flight to taveuni in that they charge you for overweight. I paid F$65 each way. Sorry I can't remember the weight.

Standing in the line at the airport, the scuba group next to us was bringing everything INCLUDING the kitchen sink. They had big plastic tubs and containers with lots of gear. My understanding was they had to use extra planes that day to get every one and everything out to the island. But it's all "Fiji style", so no planning or anything. They just take it as it happens. If you go in a group to the dive resorts, then you will have someone taking your group through the airport checkin, etc, and likely no real problems though you may have to pay. Otherwise, you're taking your chances going alone as we did. We were bumped off our plane, probably by the aforementioned group, and had to wait about 4 hours. They bumped us off not just the plane but off the airline! Getting to the head of the line told us we weren't on the list and looking found that we had been moved, by some unknown entity, to another airline. We had paper tickets for the first airline and everything. However, Fiji style, it was taken care of. Sega ni Lega. (no worries). The other airline was smaller and thus the plane flew closer to the ground and we had a better view on the way to the island. We could look right into the water.

As for a lighter BC, I wouldn't bother for the cost and potential cost in overage fee. Take the gear you need to make your trip successful and don't depend on any gear there.

bigbadwolfe:
Having read the latest on the blog regarding Fiji diving I have a few questions. I am new to diving but not new to traveling in the SP. Is it worth taking a lightweight BCD with you? I currently have a sequest balance but that weighs about seven pounds. If so recomendations are welcome. I understand that on the flights from Nadi to Taveuni you are limited to 20kg. However, I read on one sight that if you have a letter from your resort stating that you are on a dive trip they will up it to 30kg - is this true? Last but not least of the questions has anybody been to Matangi Island Resort? Will be heading there this Jan.

bigbadwolfe:

On overweight - my travel agent (Reef and rainforest) got me a coupon good for 30kg as a diver. Check with yours!

On Matangi - My wife and I were at Matangi in November 2003. I only dived for two days, since I had just spent a week on the Fiji Aggressor and my wife doesn't dive.

Quick summary - diving is very good. No coral bleaching where we went. Typical two tank AM dives - leave just after breakfast, return for lunch. No Nitrox. Longer trip to SomoSomo strait typically done 1 or 2 times per week (3 diver minimum) - they went once during the week we were there - will go more often if there is demand.

Resort - lots to do non-diving. Good snorkeling right off beach, or they will take you to a offshore snorkeling spot. Kayaks, sailboats, hiking. Trip to Taveuni to go to waterfall. Trip to villiage for dance/kava ceremony. Lavo dinner (like hawaiin emu oven). All above at no charge. Sport Fishing is extra - I don't know rates. Extremely casual - barefoot dining, etc. Free laundry service every day - PACK LIGHT.

Food is unbelievable. Tables for 6 to 8 people - you get to know your fellow guests. Standard choices for breakfast. At breakfast, you choose your lunch and dinner (two choices per day for each.) Afternoon tea. We were there over American Thanksgiving. Feast consisted of turkey (God knows where they got it), Beef Wellington, Lamb Roast, Shrimp curry. Those were just the main dishes - lots of sides. Typically fish at least once per day if you choose it. Noel (the owner) went fishing, caught an ahi tuna, and served us 2 hour old shashimi! Chef was native Fijian, but classically trained. Local ingredients, with varied preparation.

Noel and Flo are great people. You will meet Jonathan (her per fruit bat) - he may even land on you. Staff is helpful without being intrusive. If you want to ask Noel any direct questions, I can send you his direct email address.

The price is the most reasonable that we could find. The next Island over is Quamea, which was asking for more than double. My wife and I are definitely planning to return, combining the trip with a trip to New Zealand, all via Air New Zealand (since Nadi is a stopover on the LA- Nadi- Auckland flight.)

Reply or send private message for more specific questions.

Joel

Shasta_man:
Weight is limited on the flight to taveuni in that they charge you for overweight. I paid F$65 each way. Sorry I can't remember the weight.

Standing in the line at the airport, the scuba group next to us was bringing everything INCLUDING the kitchen sink. They had big plastic tubs and containers with lots of gear. My understanding was they had to use extra planes that day to get every one and everything out to the island. But it's all "Fiji style", so no planning or anything. They just take it as it happens. If you go in a group to the dive resorts, then you will have someone taking your group through the airport checkin, etc, and likely no real problems though you may have to pay. Otherwise, you're taking your chances going alone as we did. We were bumped off our plane, probably by the aforementioned group, and had to wait about 4 hours. They bumped us off not just the plane but off the airline! Getting to the head of the line told us we weren't on the list and looking found that we had been moved, by some unknown entity, to another airline. We had paper tickets for the first airline and everything. However, Fiji style, it was taken care of. Sega ni Lega. (no worries). The other airline was smaller and thus the plane flew closer to the ground and we had a better view on the way to the island. We could look right into the water.

As for a lighter BC, I wouldn't bother for the cost and potential cost in overage fee. Take the gear you need to make your trip successful and don't depend on any gear there.
Thanks! Since I am a lone traveler I have no problem going with that island ideal that it will eventually happen. Thanks for the advice on the BC my budget agrees.

jakubson:
On overweight - my travel agent (Reef and rainforest) got me a coupon good for 30kg as a diver. Check with yours!

On Matangi - My wife and I were at Matangi in November 2003. I only dived for two days, since I had just spent a week on the Fiji Aggressor and my wife doesn't dive.

Quick summary - diving is very good. No coral bleaching where we went. Typical two tank AM dives - leave just after breakfast, return for lunch. No Nitrox. Longer trip to SomoSomo strait typically done 1 or 2 times per week (3 diver minimum) - they went once during the week we were there - will go more often if there is demand.

Resort - lots to do non-diving. Good snorkeling right off beach, or they will take you to a offshore snorkeling spot. Kayaks, sailboats, hiking. Trip to Taveuni to go to waterfall. Trip to villiage for dance/kava ceremony. Lavo dinner (like hawaiin emu oven). All above at no charge. Sport Fishing is extra - I don't know rates. Extremely casual - barefoot dining, etc. Free laundry service every day - PACK LIGHT.

Food is unbelievable. Tables for 6 to 8 people - you get to know your fellow guests. Standard choices for breakfast. At breakfast, you choose your lunch and dinner (two choices per day for each.) Afternoon tea. We were there over American Thanksgiving. Feast consisted of turkey (God knows where they got it), Beef Wellington, Lamb Roast, Shrimp curry. Those were just the main dishes - lots of sides. Typically fish at least once per day if you choose it. Noel (the owner) went fishing, caught an ahi tuna, and served us 2 hour old shashimi! Chef was native Fijian, but classically trained. Local ingredients, with varied preparation.

Noel and Flo are great people. You will meet Jonathan (her per fruit bat) - he may even land on you. Staff is helpful without being intrusive. If you want to ask Noel any direct questions, I can send you his direct email address.

The price is the most reasonable that we could find. The next Island over is Quamea, which was asking for more than double. My wife and I are definitely planning to return, combining the trip with a trip to New Zealand, all via Air New Zealand (since Nadi is a stopover on the LA- Nadi- Auckland flight.)

Reply or send private message for more specific questions.

Joel
Thanks for your info. I found that all the dive gear comes to about 12lbs so that daily laundry service will come in handy. I would appreceate Noel's Email address for there are several of the adventure dives I want to do there. Thanks again Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom